Safe Tire Size bet for 71 Dart Cruiser

-

SharpDart71

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart Swinger with the 14" rallye's. 36k mile car with stock suspension still, I'm thinking i'll just order 205/70-R14's for the whole way around. Thoughts? just planning on it being a nice looking cruiser that MAY get up and go sometimes if you catch my drift. Thoughts? How would they look if I put on some Super Stock leafs as well?

Thanks

How wide are the rims? And what backspace do they have? What rear axle? SBP still?

All makes a difference. Most of those cars will fit a 245 wide tire, but only with the right rim width and backspace. So if you don't want to change rims we need to know what you've got. Most stock rims are too narrow for anything wider than a 225.

Looking for tire sixes for both ends? I have 15x7's with 4.25 back space on the rear with 255-60/15's . I have 14's on the front.

001.jpg

How wide are the rims? And what backspace do they have? What rear axle? SBP still?

All makes a difference. Most of those cars will fit a 245 wide tire, but only with the right rim width and backspace. So if you don't want to change rims we need to know what you've got. Most stock rims are too narrow for anything wider than a 225.

Newer Stock rallye wheels. Suspension and back spacing are the stock dimensions still for the swinger with a 318. Sorry, still learning all of this terminology here and stuff.

205/70-14 is a great tire on a Swinger. 215/70-14 is anothere great size for the Swinger.
I run 215/70-14 on my 65 and 70 Darts. I would stay away from the Super Stock springs, unless you are drag racing. If you need to rebuild the rear suspension, some stock replacement springs would be my choice.

205/70-14 is a great tire on a Swinger. 215/70-14 is anothere great size for the Swinger.
I run 215/70-14 on my 65 and 70 Darts. I would stay away from the Super Stock springs, unless you are drag racing. If you need to rebuild the rear suspension, some stock replacement springs would be my choice.

Thanks! I'm going to order 205/70-14's for all the way around. Also thank you for the advise on the super stock springs. I definitely don't plan on drag racing it, maybe once or twice down a strip. I'll look into the stock sizes from Summit. Crazy that they are more expensive that the super stock springs!

Good choices if the rims are close to the stock size, should be a good fit.

Rims and gas cap are now body color. :)

Nice. My gas cap is body color. How's the rims looking now? Feel free to message me so we aren't blowing up this thread. I'd like to see some more pictures and know a little more about your car!

I just put P195/75R14 (front) and p215/75R14 (rear) Toyo Extensa A/S tires on my 14" X 5 1/2" Rallye wheels (all small bolt pattern). Previously it had P215/70R14 (front) and P225/70R14 (rear). No more tire rubs on the fronts during tight turns (I have converted the front drum brakes to discs using the SSBC kit (which pushes the wheels outboard ~1/4" per side)).

DSCN9447-Cropped.JPG

-
Back