Safe Valve Pocket Depth

-

Red_Duster

Reaction score
Hey all. Getting ready to put my 383 together for the ‘68 dart. Nothing fancy, we all have a budget, right? The build is a fresh short block, .030 over with Speed Pro L2315 flat tops .014 in the hole. Cam is the Lunati Bracket Master II with 230@.050 and .480 lift with 2 degrees advance (over the 2 ground in) Stealth Heads, Lunati springs, Comp 1.5 rockers, Edelbrock RPM and TTIs in front a 2500 stall and 3.55s. I have cometic .027s to keep the static compression around 9.9:1. Dynamic should be around 8.9 to 1. Holley sniper on top.

My question is, (hopefully PRH will chime in) I have access to the Lindy pocket cutter and a junk set of 906s. I was thinking about adding valve reliefs before I put everything together and put it in the car in case I ever want to go with 1.6s for more lift. What is a “safe” depth to cut? I was thinking .040 but I don’t want to risk burning through.

I know someone is going to say take them out and to a machine shop, but I think I can tackle this, and have to save for a wedding in October (but she wants the car there!)

Why not call Speed Pro and see if they can tell you the nominal thickness of the piston head? I bet they can.

Why not call Speed Pro and see if they can tell you the nominal thickness of the piston head? I bet they can.
Well, I didn’t know the proper terminology to start, so thank you RRR!

But I do remember seeing that folks on here have done it, so I figured I’d ask.

Measure how much piston to valve clearance you have now.

You need piston to head clearance plus .010 for the intake valve and intake valve clearance times 1.6-2.0 and send it.

So, if you have .040 piston to head clearance you need .050 intake piston to valve clearance.

For the exhaust you need that .050 (intake P/V) times 1.6-2.0 which would be .080-.100 exhaust P/V.

Any more than that and you are pissing away compression ratio.

Well, I didn’t know the proper terminology to start, so thank you RRR!

But I do remember seeing that folks on here have done it, so I figured I’d ask.
I have no doubt they can stand .040" but it would be good to know to be sure.

Measure how much piston to valve clearance you have now.

You need piston to head clearance plus .010 for the intake valve and intake valve clearance times 1.6-2.0 and send it.

So, if you have .040 piston to head clearance you need .050 intake piston to valve clearance.

For the exhaust you need that .050 (intake P/V) times 1.6-2.0 which would be .080-.100 exhaust P/V.

Any more than that and you are pissing away compression ratio.
Checking springs should be here tonight, but I haven’t ordered pushrods yet. Once there are here, can I mock up without gaskets at measure valve drop at 10 BTDC and 10 ATDC and add the compressed gasket thickness? I don’t have any compressed gaskets and I don’t want to booger those cometics at $90 a pop.

Since that cutter runs through the guide (15 degrees?) it’s really cutting an eyebrow more than a true pocket. I wouldn’t think that would have a huge impact on compression and balance? The lock collar should get them all the same on depth if I set it with a feeler gauge, or at least that’s the plan l.

Hey all. Getting ready to put my 383 together for the ‘68 dart. Nothing fancy, we all have a budget, right? The build is a fresh short block, .030 over with Speed Pro L2315 flat tops .014 in the hole. Cam is the Lunati Bracket Master II with 230@.050 and .480 lift with 2 degrees advance (over the 2 ground in) Stealth Heads, Lunati springs, Comp 1.5 rockers, Edelbrock RPM and TTIs in front a 2500 stall and 3.55s. I have cometic .027s to keep the static compression around 9.9:1. Dynamic should be around 8.9 to 1. Holley sniper on top.

My question is, (hopefully PRH will chime in) I have access to the Lindy pocket cutter and a junk set of 906s. I was thinking about adding valve reliefs before I put everything together and put it in the car in case I ever want to go with 1.6s for more lift. What is a “safe” depth to cut? I was thinking .040 but I don’t want to risk burning through.

I know someone is going to say take them out and to a machine shop, but I think I can tackle this, and have to save for a wedding in October (but she wants the car there!)
What size cutter do you have and stem diameter of the cutter ?
You can clay your pistons with no gaskets between your head and block, just add that thickness to your clearance.
And then everything rat bastid said too

What size cutter do you have and stem diameter of the cutter ?
You can clay your pistons with no gaskets between your head and block, just add that thickness to your clearance.
And then everything rat bastid said too
It’s a buddy from work, so I’d have to confirm. He’s a big block Chevy guy and 454 intakes are 2.19, so at least. Probably 11/32 guide for the cutter, but hoping he has a 3/8th.

I’ve see where people make a fly cutter out of an old valve, and I have plenty of stock 906 valves, but the are smaller than what’s in the stealth heads.

It’s a buddy from work, so I’d have to confirm. He’s a big block Chevy guy and 454 intakes are 2.19, so at least. Probably 11/32 guide for the cutter, but hoping he has a 3/8th.

I’ve see where people make a fly cutter out of an old valve, and I have plenty of stock 906 valves, but the are smaller than what’s in the stealth heads.
Yep you'd definitely want 2.19 for the 2.14s In the stealth .
Hopefully it all works out, good luck!!!

Flat top speed pros have almost 1/2" of aluminum on top. Plenty of room to notch them.

Flat top speed pros have almost 1/2" of aluminum on top. Plenty of room to notch them.
I recently checked a set of Speed Pro's for a BB Chevy, they were right at .300 & Speed Pro said no thinner than .240.... Obviously not the one I took a picture of.... But that's my mill & my piston vise... And a piston from a engine I sold many years ago...

IMG_7657.jpg

-
Back