Saginaw power steering pump whine and leak

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
I replaced my power steering pump today because it was whining and leaking. I haven't identified the source of the leak yet, but it did seem to leak out by the shaft when I set it pulley-side down on the bench. The "new" pump came from a donor car and looked a little rusty inside, so I don't know how long it will last. In the meantime I can start rebuilding the old one. I guess this is the Saginaw pump. Questions:
1. What should I look for that might be the cause of the whine?
2. Will the necessary replacement part(s) be in the rebuild kit?
IMG_2020.png

IMG_2019.png

The replacement pump is quiet but is now leaking too, apparently from the shaft seal. So I'm going to rebuild the original pump and reinstall it. Question: do I need to replace the shaft bushing? My local parts shop has the kit in stock without the bushing, but I can order a kit with the bushing.

The bushing centers the shaft in the seal. Bushing is the only hard part I have found available. I don't know if or where vendors like Cardone get shafts and other parts for these pumps. I have placed a homemade spacer behind the seal so it sits on a unworn spot on the shaft. My memory sux but I think the piece I made was .042 thickness.

-
Back