Saginaw pump fittings

-

Freezerman

Reaction score
Did Saginaw pumps ever come with an o-ring fitting? I can't tell if someone used the wrong hose at some time. It has a hose with orings on both ends now and it leaks. Are inverse flare threads and o-ring threads the same? I am trying to get a new pressure hose.
I have a 72 Dart with originally a 318, not sure if I have the original pump or steering sector. Thanks.

No, inverted is not the same, although the thread could be. So far as I know the O ring fittings were "proprietary" that is, not SAE If I run into this nonsense I'm going to simplify my life: Take the fitting apart at the pump and braze (silver braze) a JIC / AN fitting or some such, "something" I can "get"

I realize these girls are getting old, but some popular "parts store" hose selling strategy is to decrease stock by selling both ends which screw into a hose of some length. You should be able to buy those separate. You might be able to build on that. There were several replacement brands which did this.

Check out this page, the "Edelman" catalog

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/catalogs/

Sounds like you have the later style hose to me as our 72 with a Saginaw does not use the Oringed type ends, but the 73 does.

The 72 sure looks a lot like it would use an oring though, but does not.
I really took notice of that when I saw it the first time because of the 73.

Thanks, I tried an old inverted flare in the pump and it threaded in OK. Just can't tell if the inverted flare seals or not. Would rather not find out the hard way and have fluid squirt all over. That's why I'm wondering if the saginaw pump ever came with the o-ring style.

I would think you can tell by looking into the fitting. It should look exactly like inverted flare "in there." You can find many photos on the www

The O ring ones I've seen have a sort of extension past the O ring that goes in deeper, so to say

The O ring ones I've seen have a sort of extension past the O ring that goes in deeper, so to say

So does the 72, but it's just slightly different and does not take an oring.

This is what I have experienced.
The 72 hose looks like it takes a ring at the pump but does not, and the 73 up does take a ring at the steering box end only.

Attachments

• NonOring.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Oringed.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 75
-
Back