Salvage title bad idea ?

-

jomoper

Mope or Nope
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am new here .
Wanted to ask everyones opinion on this .Have been looking for a good project car .I found a 72 Dodge dart Swinger 318 auto very minimal rust.
Car is running and registered but it has a salvage title.
The car appears to be straight not clipped (original paint)
It seems the car was hit in the rear some time ago and the previous owners insurance company totalled the car .However it was bought back the rear bumper was replaced and the damage to the quarter panel and valance was never repaired . The damage is very minimal the brakets that the bumper mounts to don't appear to have been bent at all . The quarter panel has a
slight crease the valance panel seems to have suffered the most damage.
seems like a good project car but I know if I was ever to want to resell the car I might have a hard time . So what are your thoughts has anyone had any experience with this ? I like the car and quite frankly it's in the best shape of all the cars I've looked at so far. I am just hesitant that there could be problems with DMV and Insurance .I'd appreciate anyones advice who may have had experience with this type situation good or bad.
Thanks, Joe

As far as an insurance company is concerned, it doesn't take much damage to total an old car. It's quite possible the car suffered a minimal amount of damage. If it was me, I would buy the car & take a lot of good pictures of the damage to document the cars condition before any repairs are made. I would also take pictures to document the repair process. Then, if you later want to sell the car, you can show a prospective buyer the original condition of the car & that the repairs were done properly. If the repairs are done properly, the car should be fine & will probably increase in value.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:burnout:

I bought my daughter a car with a salvage title and had no problems registering it or inspecting it.
Mike

I don't know what state your in but in North Dakota after 7 years ( I think) that salvage title would be gone. I cannot believe a 72 would have a salvage title. In our state when you would transfer that title it would come back to you as a clear one. If the car was new or up to 7 years old it would come back as a salvage one.

If the price is ok, and the thing is really want you want,
go for it.

:) :thumbup:

My son's GT convertible has a salvage title and had the damage to prove it. So does his 87 Daytona Shelby Z. We had to rebuild that one after it was hit by a 16yo kid doing a burnout. I also have heard that "salvaging" a car will eliminate back fees owed to the DMV here in California.

Salvage titles are no problem unless you are the one applying for it. If the title is already there then it is just as good as any else. I just got my title for the Demon Sat. My car came from a salvage yard also.

Almost all of my cars have been salvage titles. It does affect the resell value, but I've usually gotten my money's worth out of the car before I sell it. I had title issues with my Scamp. It was a one-owner car, but the lady I bought it from had lost the title. We couldn't apply for a lost title as the DMV had no registration or title record for the VIN, or even the plate #. (I think something must have happened when the records were computerized.) So I had to apply for a salvage title, even though the car has never been involved in an accident. To some, the car may have lost some appeal, as I can't prove it was a 1-owner, and it will have a salvage title; but I don't care as long as I have fun building and (eventually) driving it.

-
Back