Samhainophobia--and What Are You Afraid Of?

-
speaking of gliders, i was at a WWII museum in the Netherlands a while ago, they had some gliders on display
some time after D day, the allied forces launched an invasion where they would "tow" these gliders from England to the Netherlands, then cut the ropes when they came close to the landing site and let them just sail on down

now, that takes some testicular fortitude right there

A very close friend of our family was a pilot for those gliders. Understandably he didn't talk much about it. He did drink a fair bit so that tells it all.

I'm not a fan of heights ( did a tandem skydive at 13,500 ft though)

Not a fan of small spaces either. Always need to see a way out.

Last edited:
Classic.

Coulrophobia: why clowns trigger our fear reflexes | Dean Burnett

tenor.gif

Maybe it all boils down to a fear of death......or pain.
Thanatophobia?

A very close friend of our family was a pilot for those gliders. Understandably he didn't talk much about it. He did drink a fair bit so that tells it all.

if he is still around tell him i said thank you
i spend my entire life on the corridor they cleared during Market Garden, that is until i moved to the US back in 04

there's a cross between a glider and a helicopter-

auto gyro

tow to take off then it auto-rotates to stay up

I almost bought one in 1990.

Had a place to mount an optional engine but didn't need it.

there's a cross between a glider and a helicopter-

auto gyro

tow to take off then it auto-rotates to stay up

I almost bought one in 1990.

Had a place to mount an optional engine but didn't need it.

is this a trick to get us to post some gyrocopter girl videos?

if he is still around tell him i said thank you
i spend my entire life on the corridor they cleared during Market Garden, that is until i moved to the US back in 04
Sadly he passed away in 1997 and he's buried in the Veteran Section very close to my Mom and Dad who both served in the British Forces. Mom was in the Army and dad in the Air Force.

like the song says

"The forgotten heroes a forgotten war
And the young people ask, "What are they
Marching for? "
And I ask myself the same question
And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men answer to the call
But year after year their numbers get fewer
Some day no one will march there at all"

they still hold memorials all across europe each year, but less and less veterans are able to make it
i guess there is something to say for a veteran dying of old age in his own bed.

but, if its any consolation, i havent forgotten, and ive taken my boy to a several war cemeteries across europe

like the song says

Marching for? "

they still hold memorials all across europe each year, but less and less veterans are able to make it
i guess there is something to say for a veteran dying of old age in his own bed.

but, if its any consolation, i havent forgotten, and ive taken my boy to a several war cemeteries across europe
That's a very nice thing to do. Friends of the family who lived in the U.K. were very dedicated to the Vets with both of them being involved in WW2. They both went to the D-Day celebrations and went to the beaches where they landed so many years ago. She was at the Nuremberg Trials and up to the day she died there were stories she didn't even tell her husband as she was sworn to secrecy. That's dedication to your country.

Last edited:
like the song says

Marching for? "

Good thought diy!

Yessir, the glide slope is rather similar to a bowling ball!I

But, you need less area to land.

Depends on the rotor design. I have flown aircraft that were horrible for auto, OH58Ds, MDs aren’t great either really. OH58A/Cs and UH1s were great. DA is a factor as well.

What scares me? Big waves out at sea. I used to go up to the O-8 deck (top of the island) of our LHA (Helo carrier) and watch the waves crest over the bow of our ship and that bow was 5 stories tall..give me a foxhole any day.

We're you an 03XX Pishta?

We're you an 03XX Pishta?
F'n A. 0351 Dragon gunner. That 6 months on ship was therapeutical. Gnarly typhoon in sea of Japan (cracked a bulkhead on one of our ships!) and huge sea swells off Monterey.

I'm not a fan of heights ( did a tandem skydive at 13,500 ft though)

Not a fan of small spaces either. Always need to see a way out.

You'd make a great telephone man! Gaff up the pole to make the line good to the demarc, belly crawl under the house to get the line to the back bedroom, then attic crawlspace to find a bad splice...might as well be a tunnel rat.
about-banner.jpg

You'd make a great telephone man! Gaff up the pole to make the line good to the demarc, belly crawl under the house to get the line to the back bedroom, then attic crawlspace to find a bad splice...might as well be a tunnel rat.
View attachment 1715226731

You want to make him a Tunnel Rat, you're nuts!

Twisted people they were!

Nice picture!! Whew, I'll let that high and low stuff to you guys!!!!

My career field in the Air Force was called "Ground Radio", lol.

When I was QA for a civilian contact we had, I had to signnoff on an antenna installation on top of a huge water tower. I made it about 10 feet up the tower, climbed back down and signed off. Looked good to me!!

View attachment 1715226731

here's the song i quoted in post #33
(id drop it in there, but the time to edit is past)

My Granddaughter scares the **** out of me!

She is trying to look and act 25 at the age of 15.

:elmer:

-
Back