"SAMPLE" 1970 340 HP intake manifold number 3462848 rarity!

-

TATTOO BILL

Reaction score
Most of us are aware of the performance benefits of the factory 3462848 cast iron intake manifold from 1970, right?

Well I have an NOS intake that was factory cast with the word "SAMPLE" on the runner beside the part number, and the so-called date code is 6-24-R !!! AND there isn't a "clock" marking for the time of production!

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

A picture would be cool. But I think most agree the 71 piece is the best factory intake.

does it look like this one??? but without the clock like you stated?

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 615
  • intake2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 595
  • intake3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 532
Yes, it looks like the one shown, except there is no "clock", no full date code, and the word SAMPLE cast just above the "48" of the part number..... How do I put pics on here? I don't have URL whatever........

Yes, it looks like the one shown, except there is no "clock", no full date code, and the word SAMPLE cast just above the "48" of the part number..... How do I put pics on here? I don't have URL whatever........

Ok I added a few more pics is it like those without the clock?

Yes, without the clock and with an "R" as the year. And also SAMPLE.

How the hell do you put pics on this site???

You take a pic with a camera using the "JPEG" format. All cameras have the option. Then you do download the pic to a file in your PC. Then you post you thread and click on "Upload" photos. From there you click on "browse" and it goes to your computer files then you just find the pic you saved and double click on the picture and it will automatically be added to your thread. You keep clicking on "browse" and keep adding pics.

treblig

It doesn't give me the option to browse, only to enter a http....nonsense

I'm going to see Don Garlits in the morning and I'm bringing some of my rare stuff for him to check out, this being one item.

This posting is for Tattoo Bill

Easy Peasy Lemon squeezy.............
Treblig

Attachments

• 20141031_193348.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 628
I also have a pair of 426 Hemi carbs that were built by Ed Garlits (Don Garlits brother) prior to 1972. Story has it that they originally came from Richard Petty Enterprises!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 456
  • 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 449
  • 6.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 446
Hay that's an interesting piece for sure!

What's up Roy? Are you going to Garlits in the morning? I have one of his old four speed transmissions that he built back in the 60's that I want him to see!

I wonder if the "R" in the date code could represent "Research" or something similar?

I figured it out.... I wasn't scrolling far enough down the page to get to it! lol

Did you get that intake off of eBay from a seller in Minnesota? There was one here recently I found with the "sample" cast into it the same as yours but it this one was a little rusty or bare....I thought about buying it.

-
Back