sandblast the whole car???

-
we use the dry ice blaster at my work to clean injection dies, i'm going to try it on a good fan clutch to clean up the aluminum, first i've heard of it to blast a car, how do you keep it from flash rusting? after we clean a die it is moist and cold.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe you have to wipe down right away and prime?

Mopardude, everybody- In Ca. here is the guy I recommend, American Stripping Co., 6202 Warehouse Way, Sacramento, Ca. 95826. Phone 916-387-9933. Doesn't use sand, doesn' t use soda or shells, uses "micro-minerals and low pressure/low impact". I don't know what that means but results are great. The body shop I am using has been turning out very nice vintage and muscle cars for some time and swears by him. I guess I sound like a walking advertisement. Sorry.

Mopardude, everybody- In Ca. here is the guy I recommend, American Stripping Co., 6202 Warehouse Way, Sacramento, Ca. 95826. Phone 916-387-9933. Doesn't use sand, doesn' t use soda or shells, uses "micro-minerals and low pressure/low impact". I don't know what that means but results are great. The body shop I am using has been turning out very nice vintage and muscle cars for some time and swears by him. I guess I sound like a walking advertisement. Sorry.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give them a call...

Nice 408. What heads? Pump gas- right? With bigger heads can we get 600hp?

Are you talking about my 408?

It has ported eddy's done by hughes engines, hyd. roller cam 252/258* duration @ .050 576/576 lift. 1.6 hughes roller rockers. port matched victor 340 intake, 750 might demon, 10:1 compression...pump gas street engine...I am sure with the entire Indy head setup, I would be at the 600HP mark...I shoulda went that way instead....

If you get someone to blast with sand, they have to really know what they are doing, or the metal will warp, you will get a severely pitted surface, etc.

I do not believe dry ice blasting will remove rust, but dont know for sure. Around here, all it is used for is cleaning stainless steel food service equipment because there are absolutely no health hazards associated with it, and the stainless steel will not rust because of the moisture.

Anyone that does soda blasting has other medium at their disposal, like potassium. It is a little more aggressive than soda, and it will remove rust. Crushed walnut shells, plastic beads, ground glass, can also be used, but you need to discuss it with your blaster. Soda needs to be neutralized, but some of the other medias do not. Also, most people that do soda blasting have stuff they can put on the metal to keep it from flash rusting for short periods of time. I had a fender blasted with plastic beads, and the guy then treated it with something. I didnt use it for several months, and it did not flash rust.

Around here, it costs $500-$1000 to soda blast a whole car. There is a guy about an hour away from me that has a portable rig that will come to your location and do a whole car for $600.

I blasted my Duster body using Jetmag media. No warpage, and this is the first time I've ever done something like this. Took more time to blow all the media out of the body than it did to blast it. But the results are very nice. Just keep moving, don't get too close with the gun, and use the least amount of air pressure that gets the job done. You can see the gauge at about 80 psi here. See pics.

This thread has me thinking to rebuild by 70 340 Swinger 4 speed . Are there plans for that rotisserie somewhere ? With that it would be much easier to clean p all the surface rust on the floors/under body , thing is stripped bare already just have to remove diff and front end .
This site is just amazing !

Good stuff guys!
Just throwing this out there...
If you are concerned about damage to the exterior panels while sandblasting, use Aircraft remover first to determine what needs to be blasted. Save media.
Just be plenty sure that you have removed all of that chemical before applying primer, putty and paint. Powerwash it twice.

-
Back