Sandblasters?

-

Gordon340

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I am considering getting some blasting equipment for cleaning. I want to be able to do smaller itiems, but also hoods & door etc. Any suggestions on the equipment and the best media to use? Thanks

Brian

For small stuff you really need a blasting cabinet. You can buy one fairly cheap at Harbour Freight, or if you feel industrious you can build one. Use Google to search for plans.

For larger stuff you will need a BIG compressor and LOTS of media. I would not use sand on any body panels. The sand acts like tiny hammers and will stretch and distort the thin metal. You would be better off getting a DA sander and/or using chemical strippers for body panels.

Check out www.tptools.com They have numerous different sized cabinets that will hold a door, wheels or even an engine block. They also sell several different kinds of blasting media. As someone else mentioned, you will need a large, high capacity air compressor to run a blasting cabinet.

I am getting ready to blast my whole car. Except I am using Baking Soda, commonly called Soda Blasting. The metal will not get hot and warp the panels. It is also biodegradable, you can do it in your driveway, just wash down your area when you’re done or wait till it rains. I am told the only thing you need to do with the panels when done is use an air compressor to blow out the soda from crevices. I am having my slotted mag wheels done this week; I will post a pic on before and after photos.

Rick

Well Sandblasting, media blast'in, soda blast'in, it'z all a PIAN!!...U NEVER git all tha sand/media outta tha car..NEVER!!...I blasted my car, and I have blowed, washed, rolled, washed, blowed, rolled, washed, blowed, till I wore out my compressor, and my well pump, and when U prime/paint I still git sand!!!...I WILL NEVER DO IT AGIN!!!...I did good on tha body, but ruined my hood...I know what sand will do a thin piece ov metal, and took ever precaution I could...dust'in it at a distance usually doez tha trick, but juss az soon az U thank U got it down, whammo, A useless 66 dart hood!!...My suggestion would be to have it dipped, or use chemicals to do what ya gaotta do...Juss my 2 centz, REX

I agree with T-rex- I've seen a couple guys blast their whole car. And theres always little bits of "sand" comming out especially aroung door handles, locks, ect.. I'd stay awat from media blasting a body- keep it for frames and such- I chemical strip my cars!

I've been in the refinishing business for 20yrs. Many a metal project has crossed my path. Even with an experienced blaster (usually a low man on the totem pole) thin steel (body parts) usually come back with dimples in the surface. Thats why bondo is so invaluable. Bondo doesn't have a long term life (all organic products have vapor pressure and thats why these products eventually fail). I always use and/or recommend a specific sprayable paint stripper. It lifts off any type of coating and unlike your standard paint stripper it does not need to be neutralized. Any grinding can be done with some of Nortons newer metal abrasive products. The less bondo you use the better the overall results especially if you do your own body work and spray finishing.If you need some more info on this stripper email me ,Thanks. PS Stay away from polyester coatings. They usually need to be sand blasted.

A/MP said:
I've been in the refinishing business for 20yrs. Many a metal project has crossed my path. Even with an experienced blaster (usually a low man on the totem pole) thin steel (body parts) usually come back with dimples in the surface. Thats why bondo is so invaluable. Bondo doesn't have a long term life (all organic products have vapor pressure and thats why these products eventually fail). I always use and/or recommend a specific sprayable paint stripper. It lifts off any type of coating and unlike your standard paint stripper it does not need to be neutralized. Any grinding can be done with some of Nortons newer metal abrasive products. The less bondo you use the better the overall results especially if you do your own body work and spray finishing.If you need some more info on this stripper email me ,Thanks. PS Stay away from polyester coatings. They usually need to be sand blasted.

Good info, thanks! What is the specific sprayable paint stripper? Hopefully I will be acquiring a new car soon and this is handy information. I media blasted my Duster and I loved the results, but I was blowing little plastic pellets out of the vents for a couple of months. It's all better now though!

What is a good chemical stripper to use? Should I use s different one in areas where there is bondo? Should it be primed right after stripping so it doesn't rust?

The one I have is a home made unit for less than 100$,and is made from wood and the inside is lined with metal.If you want some pics of it,you can email me from my profile or send me a message and i can post the pics.Mrmopartech

-
Back