Saving classic rims.

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I posted this on FBBO and thought I should share it here too.
I have a few sets of vintage rims that have the chrome peeling off on the aluminum sections. This happens to most aluminum / steel combo rims. The steel rim is almost always still in good shape. So I thought I would show how I saved this set of rims with a slight customization. For the most part, once the chrome is peeling it will strip off very easily. Using a razor blade and careful glass bead blasting to smooth off the corrosion cleaned them up nicely. I masked them prior to blasting in order to protect the steel as well. Then I primed them and painted them with "Cast blast". They turned out very nice in my opinion. Just thought I would share this.

Attachments

• IMG_2041.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_2044.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_2047.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 487
I think they look better than the all chrome original(even if they were perfect)........

Thanks all. I personally like them better than original as well. I am a big Torque Thrust fan. I don't have a pic on a car yet, but maybe I can do that in the next couple days.......:D

Attachments

• IMG_3094.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 419
gdrill said:
Thanks all. I personally like them better than original as well. I am a big Torque Thrust fan. I don't have a pic on a car yet, but maybe I can do that in the next couple days.......:D

Excellent !!
Don't quite know how to put this, so bear with Me...
--Usually--- a paint scheme chooses the rims,
in this case, the inverse is true !!

My humble opinion, & Thx added !!!

Vision laddy buck, vision !!!
He** & Da** , those rims would even ' lend validation' to a
Telorvehc build --- a Russian Tank read backwards !!! :)
(used with permission).
:)

They look great George!

I think they look a lot like torque thrust wheels too.... always been a fav of mine.

What's that car in the picture??? Huh??? Another horse in the stable? LOL

Would like to see more of that one!

Good job, Thats a great bucks down way to fix a common problem with the alum/steel composite wheels. If i had a set doing this, i'd follow what you did, and fix em this way.

Id like to add that i I bought VHT cast gray wheel paint for my steel pickup rallye rims on my 94 chevy. It sprayed on nicely, and also seemed to have a shine to it. Whereas cast blast is flat. About $6 or so. It did all 4 pretty nicely.

Thank you all. Glad you like them.

Andy I may be able to get another shot of the Savoy tomorrow with these rims on it. I'm converting the left hand studs so I can get mag lugs on it.

Excellent !!
Don't quite know how to put this, so bear with Me...
--Usually--- a paint scheme chooses the rims,
in this case, the inverse is true !!

My humble opinion, & Thx added !!!

Absolutely, on both options... I usually choose an different wheel from the mainstream,get stance,the decide paint. Nice job,on the wheels G.D.....

This one's for you Andy. The rims and the Savoy are leaving my stable and on their way to a new home. I put them on just in time to see it go! Ya gotta wonder what will be on the trailer when it returns.......:D :burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_3197.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 240
yes I agree , great job, love the mags, especially painted NOT chromed...... BUT I have learned if keeper rims are on a sale car. I just tell the looker up front, if ya buy it BRING your own rims!!!!!
people will buy the car, take it home and take off MY rims, sell the rims..... bam!

Thanx barbee. Actually the buyer really wants these. He plans on driving it as is for a while before tearing into it. I love those rims, but they are just wheels I saved from becoming a Prius! They suit that car well. I think they belong on it. Plus what is coming back on the trailer has some pretty nice rims on it too! :)

That's pretty slick,nice work and now the price is going to triple for crusty Cragar's.

The trailer came back with the rims I traded the Keystones for! :D

Attachments

• IMG_3217.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 179
-
Back