Saving the rest

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
It seems that every time I need a little RTV whats left in the tube has hardened. Any ideas how to kept it from setting up in the tube during storage?
Thanks,
Mike

The best thing I have found for that is to use the backend of a drill bit in the tip, but eventually it hardens up down through the tip anyway (just a matter of time)
If the long tip gets cracked where it threads onto the tube I usually take the tip off and use a rubber band and some plastic wrap to seal it up. (second best way)
A long time ago they used a cap for the tube and the long tip came with it, but maybe they found out they sold more if it wasn't able to be closed up as well.

try capping it and keeping it in the fridge right after you open it and use it. being that RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing, you can retard or slow down the hardening of whats left in the tube. keeping the tubes in a hot garage environment after opening them starts the cure process even with the cap on.

hope this helps
Matt

The problem is RTV is oxygen activated. Once oxygen is introduced to it. It starts setting up. Unless I need a large amount, I try to buy the smallest tubes possible.

I've had decent results by forcing a little Vaseline in the end of the tip, which blocks off the air from getting to the RTV, then wrapping the tip with some aluminum doct tape.

-
Back