Saw A New Camaro On The Road...

-
I like both the new Challenger and the new Camaro. But I would never buy either of them. I would rather restore/build and drive an old muscle car than be car poor for a new one that looses half its value in a couple years. Our old cars will always be more unique, because they aren't making any more of them.

I agree....I'm with you there!

WOW....alot of haters here, lol!

I know, I know...this is a MOPAR site after all.

They are looking at these cars from an all around perspective, i.e. styling, ergonomics, HANDLING, acceleration etc...Not just straight line and the Challenger IS the heaviest of the three so you have to factor alot of the short comings into that fact....sorry!

Steve just FYI my negative remarks weren't towards you. The problem is the Edmund's review is flawed. Possibly on purpose because the writer likes Camaro's better. It happens alot in journalism whether the story is a car comparison or political subject. If they would have tested the SRT-8 Chally I believe the test would have came out much different. In fact I sent the author a question as to why they picked the big dog engine in the Camaro but only used a standard 5.7 liter Hemi instead of the SRT-8 car. Haven't had a reply from him. Don't expect I will get one either.

My neighbor is a slowtie guy, he's taking delivery on one in two weeks. He ordered it 2 years ago when business/life was good but said there's no turning back now. I'll post pics when he gets it.
please dont

Steve just FYI my negative remarks weren't towards you. The problem is the Edmund's review is flawed. Possibly on purpose because the writer likes Camaro's better. It happens alot in journalism whether the story is a car comparison or political subject. If they would have tested the SRT-8 Chally I believe the test would have came out much different. In fact I sent the author a question as to why they picked the big dog engine in the Camaro but only used a standard 5.7 liter Hemi instead of the SRT-8 car. Haven't had a reply from him. Don't expect I will get one either.

lol...no worries!

I think that the test reflects cars in the same price range I would think, just so they are comparing apples to apples. Most bang for the buck type thing!

WOW....alot of haters here, lol!

I know, I know...this is a MOPAR site after all.

They are looking at these cars from an all around perspective, i.e. styling, ergonomics, HANDLING, acceleration etc...Not just straight line and the Challenger IS the heaviest of the three so you have to factor alot of the short comings into that fact....sorry!

Totally true, and the Challenger scored higher in all those respects except they didn't like the tires. Douche bags, they should have compared the SRT-8 to that rustmaro and then the only downfall would have been the price tag. But did you expect any different there, really?

If you did you probably watch CNN and believe all that gushing over Obama too, and how he can do no wrong, and that every word that comes out of his mouth is golden too. Probably what comes out of others holes as well. It's funny to watch him stammering when the teleprompter runs out.

OK, sorry, but this is going to be long.

Since I'm probably one of the few guys on this site that would dare claim to be a GM guy first and Mopar guy second, I thought I'd throw out my two cents.

Let me start by saying I think the new Camaro is one of the ugliest cars to come out of this whole 'revival' period the car manufacturers are going through. A lot of the GM guys I talk to on other forums feel the same way.

About the only people I know who are drooling all over this new Camaro are people who would normally be attracted to the latest things being built, not lamenting about the cars from days long ago.

In comparison, the classic car guys that don't like it speak of it like they feel betrayed. The die-hard Ford guys got their classic looking Mustang, the die-hard Dodge guys got their classic looking Challenger, but to them, everybody else gets the new Camaro.

When I look at it, to me It's just a straight up new style car with a slight nod to what started the name. A pseudo '60's roofline with a hint of a hardtop and a gauge pack on the console does not constitute enough to call this a retro car in my opinion.

This car could have been the '03 Camaro just the same and would have just blended in. It's a disappointment to me because I would have liked to see an answer to the call sent out by Ford and Dodge to revive the Camaro's past.

Now, with that all being said, I also think it will out sell all the other retro cars hands down. Well, of course, that is if Govt. Motors will keep it going. It will be a combination of factors that will include the fact that it's vanilla enough to please almost all 'car people' from all walks of life.

Another factor is the whole bringing a car back from the dead, hype thing. The Challenger has stirred the pot of interest, and the Camaro is going to cash in on that interest.

The Camaro has only been gone for seven years so it's demise is still fresh in people's minds. Some that are looking at choosing from one of these three 'muscle cars' weren't even alive when the Challenger went away and they can't relate to it, the Mustang never did go away so it's just another Mustang, but they can still remember listening in disbelief when they heard the Camaro was getting the axe.

And of course, the other thing that is going to tip the scale is all the 'unfair' press it's going to get. Granted, there is a bit of a love affair happening with the press and the Camaro right now, a lot like the whole Obama comparison, but that's not completely the presses fault.

As was mentioned in an earlier post, in their quest to typically look at comparing apples to apples they're going to look at similar model levels and find the best bang for the buck at a specific price point.

In this case, where Ford and Dodge have decided to offer different HP V8's for their line up, Chevy has not. With the Camaro it's either a V8 SS model, or a V6 LT model or lower LS model. So if the test is going to be on the base V8 cars, then Dodge and Ford will always have to compete with Chevy's higher HP.

If the test comparisons were on trim levels, then Chevy is the clear loser with Ford and Dodge having V8's in their mid levels where Chevy went with a V6. But with the top level V8 SS being in the same price range as the mid level Challenger V8 R/T and Mustang V8 GT, they would be hard pressed not to call the SS the most bang for the buck.

Now when the big dogs finally get put head to head, Chevy will be at a disadvantage again when it's staring at the tail pipe of the SRT/8 Challenger or the Cobra Mustang. If the top level SS can hold it's own with those two, I would be impressed.

Of course, I'm sure there's a Z/28 with even more HP in the works to fill that void. Then I imagine Chevy will drop the LS and call the SS their mid level car.

If by some miracle I was suddenly in the market for a new car and I wanted to drop my money on one of these 'retro muscle cars' , for me it would have be the Challenger. Not because it's the fastest, because it isn't, not because it's the most nimble, because it isn't, and not because I'm on a Mopar site and I'm trying to be mister PC, because that, I am definitely not.

I like the Challenger because if I wanted to buy a time machine, that car is it! It's the total package with the look and feel of what was being built back in the day when they built the cars I love.

I'll probably never be in a situation to drive any one of these cars to the extents of their performance, so for me it really boils down to which one has the highest cool factor. Since I'm into the truly retro look of the Challenger, I think it's the coolest. :glasses7:

OK, maybe that was more than two cents.

BTW, a little side note. I saw in one of the earlier posts someone thought Chevy should get the award for the longest concept hype. That would actually have to go to Jokeswagen for the 'new Beetle'. I saw a concept drawing back in the 80's of what was eventually produced. Talk about teasing those poor VW guys.:finga:

-
Back