Saying hello, 1966 Valiant owner

-

oldskoolsleeper

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the site but familiar with forums and whatnot.

My mom has a 1966 Valiant 4 dr that has been sitting in her backyard for years..

I am on again off again with this car but registering here should hopefully keep me focused on it.

Car originally came with a 170 slant six and it was pulled by relatives years ago along with the trans.

Floorpans are rusted out and the front left corner has been hit. Driver's window glass is broken.

My main concern after pulling it out of the yard and cleaning it up is if its worth putting money into.

I think its a neat car and its sentimental to my mother, so I would proceed if parts are mostly available.

Things I'm worried about are...

1.Fuel pumps/tanks?
2.Headlight grille/fender? This one is broken.
3.Window glass - these cars are getting rare...
and generally the this-and-that parts, like for example the P from plymouth along the back is missing. Could I realistically find this?

I know I'm shooting a bunch of questions out there at once but at the same time what is the reality of swapping a V8 into the car? I know it can be done but what are some common swaps including trans?

I am mostly familiar with general repairs but not a master tech and definitely not in classic cars. I was born in the late 80s so this is all new to me but would appreciate any helpful advice!

Glad to be here.:D

Welcome aboard....A '66 4dr Valiant doesn't commnad much money when restored but 4drs are cool when done right. Since it has sentimnetal value to your mom just do the particulars to make her a safe driver. Sounds like the perfect car to learn a thing or two about body repair since it doesn't hold any high value. Learn how to weld and repair the floor rot, 273 or 318 motor with headers and a 4bbl.,would suffice for some fun and your good to go! Be avised there are some one year only parts for a '66 Valiant...front grill, fenders, taillights, lens, etc...
Good luck with her!

Welcome. There are a few of us that really like the '66 Valiants.
Your main concern is very valid and you should make sure that you do not spend more than you want to - many of us here spend more than our cars could be re-sold for but you need to make sure that is what you want to do.
Most of the parts to keep the car running are available at the local parts store and some, like the gas tank are available from vendors on-line.
The body parts are a bit more difficult but if you are patient you can find usable fenders and such but do NOT expect them to be perfect just usable with some work.

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy it here. Great people and information.

Enjoy the ride!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• Chassis Cert 3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 146
Most of us have went out and bought the car that we liked and wanted to start with. How much is spent on it is determined by what condition it was in. Because it is the "dream car" the cost is ignored.

""I think its a neat car and its sentimental to my mother""
That statement could apply to a 66 Beetle, a 66 Corvair, 66 Fairlane, or anything else. All of the old cars are neat when "neat" is definded as a heck of a lot different from anything modern. "Sentimntal to mother" only explains why it's still laying there.
Was she planning to have it restored or just content to see it through a window ?
If my mom had a 66 Valiant laying in the yard I would wish it was a 66 Mustang, or a 66 Corvette, but thats just me. If your "dream car" is a 66 Valiant, nothing wrong with that. Dive in.

welcome itll be fun just saw scew it and dive into the thing i think 66 are cool owned a 67 at one point

-
Back