SB 727 Doner???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
What were some stock applications that a SB 727 came in?? I'd like to find a rebuildable core at the junkyard.

Thanks!

Lotsa pickups and vans, 2wd. I'd imagine 360 powered B, C cars

Just ensure it is pre '78 or '79 (lockup) and post '67 or so, and that it is a conventional long tailshaft slip yoke design. The dead giveaway to a lockup transmission is that the input shaft will have a smooth machined area on its tip much like a 4 speed input.

B vans are probably the best bet - easy to pull, and if it is a 3/4 ton van it will likely have the extra clutches and planetaries.

It wouldn't be the end of the world either to pull a non slip yoke truck or motor home transmission and swap out the tail shaft, housing and forward planetary (depending on the year) from another 727.

This can also be done with 4WD transmissions.

Mid 70's cop cars that came with 360's like the ones in the original Blues Brothers movie.

Evan is that 727 going in your `66, just curious...

Hey Rick. I'm thinking building one for my 68 while It's still driveable, then swapping it out as a weekend project. It's the only piece of the car that I haven't touched yet. The 66 has one as well, but it's a big block version. Got a spare laying around?

No the kid`s `68 has a 904, thinking of upgrading it, but after doing all the reading they say to keep the 904, still on the fence...

-
Back