SB Horsepower and Carburetor Questions

-

19DUSTER73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new here so bear with me. I've got that question I'm sure alot of newbies ask. I have a .030 360 and I'm curious if anyone can give me a horsepower estimate. Here's what I'm running:

"915" J heads, port matched with all casting flash removed on both sides and in bowl area. Both sides look to be work a bit. 2.02/1.60 valves.
750 Holley vacuum secondary carb with 1" tapered spacer
Victor 340 Intake port matched
1.6 full roller rockers
Comp 292H .501/.501 244/244 at .050 110 LCA 106 ICL
KB hyper. pistons Est. compression ratio 11.2:1
Scat rods
.010 under stock crank
Windage tray

The guy I bought the car from spun a bearing so I went through the motor. It is in a completely stripped 73' Duster. This combo is very close to what he was running. He claimed a fastest pass at 11.46@118, foot break 28.5" tire with 4.31 gear and a 727. He was thinking around 430 horse?
My next question is I found a deal on an 830 cfm DP Holley. If jetted properly can I run it on this motor with no problem?

YES.
If your car has enough gear in it and stall speed for the convertor it will most likely pickup 1 to 2 tenths in the quarter mile or give you at least 10 to 20 horse power more then before.
The best thing about the double pumper is it can let you tune your 60 foot in a little easier.8)

You have more then 430 horse power.
I think it's somwhere in the 450 to 465 range.
It's hard to say though not knowing your weight.
It might be less if your car is very light.
Thats good mph for that et.

Some wishful thinking going on here..just to give you a somewhat realistic h.p. figure,i'm running basically the same bottom end as you,but more cam,more head,more carb and its about 410 h.p. turning a best of 11.79 @111 in a '70 duster with full street trim,through full exhaust too..

Hey thanks for the input guys. If I had to guess I would say the car weighs right around 3000 lbs with me in it. It is completely stripped but I'm kinda a big guy at 285lbs. I have a 3500 stall, cheetah reverse valve body, 4.31 gears and 28.5x9 slick. I'll post times as soon as I can get to the track.

IMO, this is a tuff call. I think 430 may be close. Possibly a tad light. I think I have to agree with T67;

Heres why. The 360/380HP MP create engines are a 10-1, 2.02/1.60 head with a single plane intake and there purple 292/.509 cam. MoPar says that it will dyno 380 HP with a 750 cfm carb and 1-3/4 headers. They rated the engine a little conservitive. (SP!) This way, no one complains when they dyno it and come up short.

When a few magizines got ahold of the create engine, I have not seen one dyno pull lower than the advertised rating and normally seen the pulls rated between 400 - 410 HP.

While you have about a 1pt. increase in compresion, it will only add about 2 or 3 %. Your can is 4*'s smaller @ .050 though your rockers are a plus. They add intencity. The other difference is in the head. Actual air flow. Your description is OK, but lacks any numbers. (And that's OK) The MP create engine picked up an advertised 20 HP with there head swap from stock 308's (IIRC) to Magnum heads. The Victor is known for a few HP up top over the MP-M1.

So you can see, similar, but not. IMO, I think you have a few items that give you a edge in the up top HP.

The bigger Holley up top is workable. Try it out.

Consdering the build, I think your doing well.

Get it to the track..time slips don't lie or leave you guessing..

How many ways to calulate HP at the track.... oh, 1 ...2....3.....4....
It's like that lollipop comercial

Well I've been racing my duster at the local eighth all summer now. My first pass was a 7.92 no mph. Our local track is located in Toutle, Washington its real grass roots. I swapped out the carb for a fancy 750 DP with billet blocks and the whole nine yards. After the carb swap I through on some cal-tracs bars and springs. Still running my el cheapo comp engineering shocks. I got the thing tuned down to a fastest pass at 7.34 with a 1.603 sixty foot.

Last friday night we took the car up to Bremerton Raceway. My first time 1/4 mile in the car. It ran a slew of 11.60's with a best of 11.64 @ 115 but it didn't eighth mile like it normally does, was in the high 7.40s. Could have just been weather though. If anyone is in Washington Riverdale Raceway is alot of fun. riverdaleraceway.com

Well I've been racing my duster at the local eighth all summer now. My first pass was a 7.92 no mph. Our local track is located in Toutle, Washington its real grass roots. I swapped out the carb for a fancy 750 DP with billet blocks and the whole nine yards. After the carb swap I through on some cal-tracs bars and springs. Still running my el cheapo comp engineering shocks. I got the thing tuned down to a fastest pass at 7.34 with a 1.603 sixty foot.

Last friday night we took the car up to Bremerton Raceway. My first time 1/4 mile in the car. It ran a slew of 11.60's with a best of 11.64 @ 115 but it didn't eighth mile like it normally does, was in the high 7.40s. Could have just been weather though. If anyone is in Washington Riverdale Raceway is alot of fun. riverdaleraceway.com

So were you running the 830 before swapping to the 750? If so, what was your best with the other carb, & who did up that "fancy" holley 750? Are you happy with it?

Nice #s your running, guess the guy wasn't lying to you about the ETs, thats a plus right there.

from reading the 1st post, he was running the 750, the 830 was just an idea he was bouncing off of us.

You are making some good power there, and it sounds like a certain someone is jealous.lol

i used this guy once with great results....we did his stage 3 build.
(stage 1-2-3 combined)
i paid 150 for the carb. on craigslist and sent it here...
hes easy to talk too and gets back to you fast !

Nice times...and as usual a certain someone talking out their ***!!!!:bootysha::bootysha:

I never made the step to the 830. I started with 750 vaccum secondary, then swapped to the double pumper. I didnt have a known builder put the carb together. I had my boss build it. Its a proform main body, braswell blocks, I can't think of the base plate brand. Most of that stuff is made by the same company anyways. I've never had anything with a billet base and blocks so its fancy to me. I was told it had some trick stuff done to it. So I threw it on jetted it and havent looked back.

Yea I'm pretty happy with the times. I have about a hundred pounds on the last owner so theres around a tenth or so. I think I can probably shave another tenth maybe tenth and a half with some good shocks and slicks. My slicks look like they are about 20 years old.

Those are some good times man. I don't see where you need any help. You need to be givin it. LOL Get your fatass on a diet and slam some new slicks on it. lol

Your set up sounds good , I have a 340 .30 over 10:5.1 Mahle forged pistons , cam a bit more than the purple shaft heads cleaned up with air gap intake and holley 750 . It makes 389 HP and 412 lbs torque , figure you should be making at least 400HP - 420 HP with your set up . The 830 should be good , ran an 850 on my old 340 and it was a great set up .

As much as I like racin' I'm actually excited for winter to be here. I've got alot of plans for the car. Ill be moving the springs in board and mini tubbin it. I'm thinkin ill fool around with different convertors next year to. I'm also gonna yank the hydraulic cam and shoot for a solid in the 255/265 duration range and a little more lift probably around .555/560. Of course i'll have to yank the heads and have a little more massaging done. My main focus is gettin the suspension just right, though. We all know what good is the power if it aint makin it to the ground. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

-
Back