SB Oil Galley Plug Depth?

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
The machine shop that done my 318 knocked out that heavy plug that goes under the rear main cap and I don't know how far down it's supposed to go to put it back.
The plug looks like a 3/4"L x1/2" slug/round bar.

Anyone know how far down it's supposed to go??

Attachments

• 388427567.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 772
Round bar? All I have ever seen, knocked out or put back in was a freeze plug.

Yeah, I'll get a pic of later, it's at a friends house. It literally looks like a slug...solid. I've been reading about them being a "soft" plug, but this one...a slug, lol.

Okay found this: [ame]http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/312/312-P5249261AB.pdf[/ame]

Apparently there's a step that it's supposed to come to a stop on....I think I drilled this passage all the way to 1/2" doing the oil mods....I think, lol, Now I have to check again. lol

Main Oil Galley Plug
[FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Be sure to check that the small cup plug has been installed in the oil passage between the #5 mains bearing cap and the main oil galley. If this plug is omitted in error, the engine will have very low oil pressure and the oil will not pass through the oil filter. This plug is installed before the #5 main cap is installed, and must be pressed all the way down onto a step in this oil passage. Use a flashlight and confirm that the oil will travel up from the oil pump and out the side of the block into the filter. From there the oil will pass through the filter and back into the block up into the main oil galley. Any time a block has been hot tanked or stress relieved, this plug must be replaced. For more information on this plug see the oiling section in the Mopar Performance book on [FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial Narrow,Arial Narrow]Small Block "A" Engines [/FONT][/FONT](P4876826)

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Then if you did, you are going to have to get the measurement from the main center to where the oil galleries intersect each other. Guitar Jones might be able to give you a figure. PM him and see.

I believe there is a step there.

Attachments

• Oil galley plug enlarged.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 505
There is but I think he is saying he drilled it out.

That plug is there to divert oil to the oil filter and back. If you look on the back of the block you'll see the raised oil galleys leading from the rear main to the pass side of the block to the oil filter. Since you drilled the step out you'll have to shine a light through the upper galley coming from the oil filter and drive the plug in to where it's dead center between the 2 galleys. You want to divide those 2 galley's so oil flows to the oil filter and back

That plug is there to divert oil to the oil filter and back. If you look on the back of the block you'll see the raised oil galleys leading from the rear main to the pass side of the block to the oil filter. Since you drilled the step out you'll have to shine a light through the upper galley coming from the oil filter and drive the plug in to where it's dead center between the 2 galleys. You want to divide those 2 galley's so oil flows to the oil filter and back

I did just exactly that. Kind of made sense when I was lookin at it.
Here's a pic of the plug. Not a good pic cuz my updated iphone cam keeps screwin up. But you get the idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 496
-
Back