SB vs BB who wins?

-
I say just use what makes you happy. For some people that's a big or small block. For others it's a goat or a sheep. I ain't judgin.

When sticking close to stock.... (and NOT stock eliminator.. :D) meaning cast heads, stock stroke, basically street cars that are N/A, the only cars I really see going in the 10's, mid 10's, are 440's. Watched a Dart with a cast head 440, stock pistons, crank, yadddy yadddy, go 10.50's with 3.55's. Good solid lift cam, single plane and a 850 on top. Sorry, I just don't see a 340 or 360 turning the same numbers with cast heads, stock pistons, and 3.55's. And I love small blocks.
I ran 10.60s with my 360 with iron J heads, and flat top pistons. Did not have 355's

My son ran 6.54 four different times at two different tracks. That’s like a 10.30@3200 pounds. Stock 360 crank and Edelbrock heads.

My son ran 6.54 four different times at two different tracks. That’s like a 10.30@3200 pounds. Stock 360 crank and Edelbrock heads.
edelbrock heads are not factory cast heads.... just saying. I love all the old cast iron mopar engines.

Just saying, you'll be hard pressed to pull a '68 340 out, throw in a solid cam, single plane, headers, and go run 10's with 3.55's. I believe he had a 3500 stall. Ain't happening folks!

Buddy has been mid 9’s with a stock stroke 340 with 1.88 valved iron heads(596) Has a 67 Barracuda.
well, let me tell ya, there is something to it you ain't a say'n :D :D

Boost? NOS ?? High end stock eliminator???

I mean, this car was a friend of mine back in the late 80's/early 90s and it went 9.20's @ 150 mph with 906 cast headed 440 - stock stroke of course.

MIRADA CHAMP.jpg

edelbrock heads are not factory cast heads.... just saying. I love all the old cast iron mopar engines.

Just saying, you'll be hard pressed to pull a '68 340 out, throw in a solid cam, single plane, headers, and go run 10's with 3.55's. I believe he had a 3500 stall. Ain't happening folks!

Did you read the very first post. This has nothing to do with cast iron heads. You made it about cast iron heads.

Did you read the very first post. This has nothing to do with cast iron heads. You made it about cast iron heads.
I"m making it about nothing. I loved 318's when the 98% of the Mopar world won't even admitt they are part of the family :D :D I'm just saying, I have personally seen the factory iron (meaning factory block, crank, heads) turn better in 440 trim than any other engine in the mopar family. I haven't seen a whole lot in person of the 2nd gen hemi's that were being raced in factory cast iron. Just as some here are saying the big blocks get embarrassed every weekend at the tracks by small blocks :)

Ok so this is one I've been pondering for a bit. Just to preface, it's purely an academic exercise to see if I can learn something.

So, take a stroker SB of choice. Call it a 408. Could be 390, or 416. Now take a 383/400/or 413. No stroker big blocks, that's not in the spirit of the experiment.

Top these engines off with a decent set of heads. Nothing wild and exotic, but a good set of well prepped heads your typical dude might run. Appropriate and fairly equivalent supporting valvetrain, intake, exhaust, compression etc.

Which series engine would better, in terms of power and torque production, and why?
Here is a REAL LIFE test to help answer your question:
My friend, Justmoparjoe, had a 408 with aftermarket heads in his cuda and ran 7.2's at best in the 1/8. He went to the 400, stock crank, with aftermarket heads and went 6.8's if I remember correctly (could have been 6.7's)???
So, the 400 gave up cubic inches to the small block and ran faster. Same car, same gears.

I"m making it about nothing. I loved 318's when the 98% of the Mopar world won't even admitt they are part of the family :D :D I'm just saying, I have personally seen the factory iron (meaning factory block, crank, heads) turn better in 440 trim than any other engine in the mopar family. I haven't seen a whole lot in person of the 2nd gen hemi's that were being raced in factory cast iron. Just as some here are saying the big blocks get embarrassed every weekend at the tracks by small blocks :)

So you turned the post into a cast headed post. Your buddies car is a 2300-2400 pound car with a four link suspension. It’s damn near as light as a dragster. You better stick to 318’s lol

Here is a REAL LIFE test to help answer your question:
My friend, Justmoparjoe, had a 408 with aftermarket heads in his cuda and ran 7.2's at best in the 1/8. He went to the 400, stock crank, with aftermarket heads and went 6.8's if I remember correctly (could have been 6.7's)???
So, the 400 gave up cubic inches to the small block and ran faster. Same car, same gears.

Both of those examples are pathetic with those times.

Both of those examples are pathetic with those times.
Pathetic? I doubt that. He doesn't have a 8" converter, nor does he have bench flowed ported heads, and the cam is very modest. Not every engine is built the same.

Man..I've never owned a big block but the guys that do say "big block" wins... and this is both Moper and Chebbie the Phird guys like the Clebelend also... I worked in a garage once and a guy had an 80s K-5 Blazer with a 396 in it. I walked up eating a bloney sammich looked under the hood said "what a waste of a motor...that belongs in a Camaro..." the guy looked at me all he could say was "but I like trucks..." yup I was quite the asshole back in the day...called it like it was though.... :lol:

well, let me tell ya, there is something to it you ain't a say'n :D :D

Boost? NOS ?? High end stock eliminator???

Nope, NA bracket car, and experimental test platform.
He broke it few years back, it’s now back together, he is putting a thermoquad on it To try when he hits the track with it again.
It’s Vic Bloomers car. He is a rocket scientist.
He does zing it, got aluminum rods in it.

Nope, NA bracket car, and experimental test platform.
He broke it few years back, it’s now back together, he is putting a thermoquad on it To try when he hits the track with it again.
It’s Vic Bloomers car. He is a rocket scientist.
He does zing it, got aluminum rods in it.
Nice !!

I knew a feller once named "Rick Bloomer" he didn't race much but his mouth ran like a ducks ***...:)

To remind folks of the original question:

So, take a stroker SB of choice. Call it a 408. Could be 390, or 416. Now take a 383/400/or 413. No stroker big blocks, that's not in the spirit of the experiment.

Top these engines off with a decent set of heads. Nothing wild and exotic, but a good set of well prepped heads your typical dude might run. Appropriate and fairly equivalent supporting valvetrain, intake, exhaust, compression etc.

Which series engine would better, in terms of power and torque production, and why?

He's really only asking which one makes more power and torque, and why.

Wouldn't an equivalently-prepped set of big block heads perform better than a set of small block heads (regardless if they were both factory cast iron, Edelbrock RPMs, Speedmaster, etc.) - thus more power/torque potential, all else being equal?

To remind folks of the original question:

He's really only asking which one makes more power and torque, and why.

Wouldn't an equivalently-prepped set of big block heads perform better than a set of small block heads (regardless if they were both factory cast iron, Edelbrock RPMs, Speedmaster, etc.) - thus more power/torque potential, all else being equal?

Being a small block fan, it pains me to agree with that, but it’s true.
Like they say in boxing, a good big man will beat a good little man.
That all said, the small block is typically going to be lighter on the nose of the car, and has couple other advantages, but at the end of the day:thumbsup:

Back to our regularly schedules discussion in which the OP started.

The reason a big block wins over any small block, like I stated before is bore size. In a Normally Aspirated engine the bigger bore wins because you can run bigger valves.

There is no boost to force air in and out of an NA engine, so to make more power you put larger intake valves in them.

A NHRA 500" Pro Stock engine uses north of a 4.700" bore and a 2.500" intake valve. A NHRA Pro Stock motorcycle has a 5.25" bore and runs a 2.700" intake valve.

Big bore, big intake valve is the key to NA horsepower. Now obviously you need a port to compliment the valve size, but you get the point.

Tom
What about the Suzuki's?

-
Back