SBP 8 3/4 drums

-

Tad

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got the eight and three-quarter rear end bolted up got all of the brake hardware put back on. I realized when I upgraded the backing plates I will need the 10“ x 2“ brake shoes which I now have. I have a set of 10“ x 2“ brake drums for a large bolt pattern. Can these be drilled to fit the small bolt pattern? If not, is it easy to find 10“ x 2“ rear brake drums with a small bolt pattern?

Hi Tad. I recently just put these on my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern rear end. They are 10" x 2" rear drums and are great quality. I would highly recommend just investing in two new ones rather then drilling your old ones. Just my opinion though.

For Mopar Rear Brake Drum 10x1-3/4" 5 on 4" Dart Duster Valiant Barracuda A Body | eBay

20190515_173245.jpg

20190515_173253.jpg

You can not interchange BBP drums and SBP axles. The axle flange offset is different. The backing plate offset is different. And because of those two things, the drums will not sit right on the axles and brakes. I forget which way that combo will go, either the drums will hit the backing plates, or leave a decent sized gap.

64DCFEFA-A718-474F-98D7-B7D50185735B.jpeg

Hi Tad. I recently just put these on my 8 3/4 small bolt pattern rear end. They are 10" x 2" rear drums and are great quality. I would highly recommend just investing in two new ones rather then drilling your old ones. Just my opinion though.

For Mopar Rear Brake Drum 10x1-3/4" 5 on 4" Dart Duster Valiant Barracuda A Body | eBay

View attachment 1715458808

View attachment 1715458809
I see others saying they have 10”x2” drums. I measured my shoes and they are 2 1/4 wide. I found some drums online that are 10”x2.76” with 4 inch bolt pattern. Do you know if these will work?

The shoes are always about .25 less than the drums; to allow for variations in the placement of the parts I guess.
That's why after many thousands of miles the drums get a ridge or lip worn into the inboard side that sometimes makes it difficult to remove them. I guess, since that part is stronger than the rest of the drum, I suppose that would help to prevent cracking

Last edited:
-
Back