SBP American Racing with adapter suggestions

-

mbrooks573

Reaction score
I'm considering trading the SBP ralley wheels currently on my 66 cuda to the 64 valiant. I really like the look of the American Racing Torque Thrust II on the 66 cuda. I'm considering getting the 4.5" adapter plates to run the 4.5" american racing wheels. Has anyone done this and can give me some recommendation/suggestion on wheel backspacing and tire size with the adapters (1" thick adapters)? Thanks guys!

Recommendation ?
Do a big bolt conversion,and give the adapter plates to your worst enemy.

There are a few threads on this topic. The summary of what I have read is if your are racing the car, do the big bolt conversion, it is not worth the risk.

If you have a cruiser, I have seen that one should stay clear of the cheaper cast adapters if possible and elect billet aluminum ones instead. The billet aluminum ones, if torqued, and checked regularly, have seemingly done a good job for most.

I found my billet set on EBay recently, but will not be able to test them for another couple of months here in Minnesota.

If I knew 4.25 backspace was correct, I certainly wouldn't go 5+ backspace just because the 1 inch adapter allows it. Why ? If/when the LBP coversion happens, adapters go, wheels no longer fit.

-
Back