SBP Disc rotor ?

-

purplebeast

Reaction score
I bought a used, factory sbp disc brake setup for my Dart, and was tearing the parts apart from the spindles. I ordered a set of replacement rotors, and just picked them up, but they're just the rotor, without the hub assembly. So, do I have to press the old hub assy. off the original rotors and re-use them on the new rotor, or did I get the wrong rotors? The service manual makes no mention of separating the hub from the rotor. Thanks.

You have the correct discs, the sbp disc setups use a two piece hub and rotor. But i have no idea how to get them apart !

I'm facing the same thing, almost exactly, I just purchased a set of sbp discs for MY 68 Dart, I haven't bought new rotors yet but I need to.
Where did you buy your new discs ? and how much did they cost you ?

After going through my shop manual again, it seems that the lug studs press through the rotor disc, and into the hub. So they should be able to press the old ones off and the new rotors on. I bought mine at the local "Murray's Auto Parts" for $26.00ea. They're AIMCO brand, 1 year warranty. At that price, I'm thinking I should stock up on them!

Just turn your lugs out so they are even with the end of the stud,then put it on a solid object and give it a good whack with a big hammer.
They should come right out and the hub and rotor will come apart unless they have been on there along time it may then require a little more effort to serparate them.

Hope this helps. :)

WOW :cheers: A buudy of mine has been looking for new rotors for a long time and didn't know they were available. I'll have to send him to Murrays. Any chance you have that part number for the rotors?

use some penetrating oil on the studs first, it will definitely help.
liquid wrench, or 'nut buster' :)

gts340 said:
WOW :cheers: A buudy of mine has been looking for new rotors for a long time and didn't know they were available. I'll have to send him to Murrays. Any chance you have that part number for the rotors?

Sure, they're AIMCO #5384, Murray's sku# is 702-4668.

Got them apart! :thumleft: Now, just need to clean up the hubs, and replace the left hand studs!

Not sure on the disks set-ups but on the drums the stud goes through the hub and drum and then is swagged to hold them together.

Trying to drive them out is a sure way to enlarge the hole in the hub and risk having the studs turn when you tighten or loosen them in the future.

The only way to get them apart and insure that you do not oversize the holes in the hub is to cut or grind off the head of the stud on the back side and drive them out from the back. When you put new studs in don't swag them and you will be able to separate the rotor and hub in the future.

This will be the perfect opportunity to get rid of the aggravating left hand threaded studs too.

Does murrays auto parts have a website ?

I'm never heard of them around here.

I really need a couple of these rotors myself, and I haven't found a price like that anywhere !

Maybe someone with a Murray's near them could pick me up a couple and ups them to me ?

I just found the website, Thanks
I'm on the phone trying to order a set right now !

Nope ! Looks like their out of stock !

SuperScamp said:
I just found the website, Thanks
I'm on the phone ordering a set right now !

I cant believe that price, even Autozone wants $89.00 for them.

Maybe I should buy a couple dozen and sell them on ebay for $50.ea!

I was just thinking the same thing ! You could probably make some bucks !

At least if you did it , you wouldn't have to have them shipped to you.

DANG IT !
Their out of stock and dont know when they'll have any !

Tony, Heres a little pic of my 68

Dartfrntsml.jpg

Dartfrntsml.jpg

Holy S@#T! $26.00 a piece? We paid almost $80.00 a piece from the local Car Quest. The lugs weren't swaged on my kid's '70 Dart, but you want to use a press to fit them back together. The big hammer method will warp your brand new rotors. :banghead:

-
Back