scamp all over the road

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
when I go over 35 mph, the front end goes nuts, I have to fight the hell out of the wheel to go some what straight, and it will turn sharper left than it will right, from the research I've done in the search forms, I think the gear box maybe over tightened, is there a base setting on them? it's power steering, all my front end parts check out good, thanks.

Mark

Mark, Sounds like you've got a couple of problems there.

You said it turns sharper left? Could be that the steering box isn't centered ( meaning that the box was not dead center when the suspension was put back together. )

Even if the box is too tight it wont cause it too dart all over the road, maybe not return to center but not turn itself.

This article helped me with mine to get it setup enough to make it to the alignment shop.
http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Vehicle_Dynamics_-_Cause_and_Effect_Guide#WHEEL_ALIGNMENT
It even has a section on symptoms ( darting, instability, understeer, oversteer, etc. )

There are a number of DIY articles and videos out there that can show you how to measure the front end to get it dialed in.

My Duster was all over the place ( darting ) as well, turned out the toe was off by almost 1/2. Remember that when you are talking steering, a little goes a long way as far as adjustments are concerned.

I am not a tech at all but I can tell you when I adjusted my steering box too tight it did make it very hard to keep the car in a straight line at 35+ mph. It was scary.

Mark I had same problem with my Duster after I had gone through front end. I did balljoints up and down as well as tierod ends and uca bushings and cam bolts. My problem was gearbox itself. No amount of ajusting helped it. Changed to manual box with adaptor on stearing column. At 60 I can let go of stearing wheel and it sure makes car a pleasure to drive now. Small sector PS box are getting hard to find but large can be had for less than $100 through advance.

Fixed,I unhooked the drag link, centered the wheel, backed the adjuster nut off, loosened the adjuster, and tightened it down until no lash was felt, then went 1/2 turn more, tightened down the nut, and it's brand new again, 70 mph no hands, thanks again all.

Mark

-
Back