Scamp vs. Valiant

-

Abodywantedinmi

"All I ever need...
Reaction score
Okay - someone enlighten me on the difference between a Valiant and a Scamp? Is it just different years or an upscale model of the other, etc...

I'm yet to learn all the differences and I'm interested to see the responses here, but I believe Scamp was the upgraded version of the valiant. Not necessarily the sport version but I'm pretty sure it was available only in a 2 door.

Mine started life as a "Limited Edition" and badged as such on the fender. /6 but had a lot of options.

the scamp was the upgrade model ,and it did only come in two door. the valiant was the base line model as far as i know.

A scamp is bascally a Plymouth version of a Dart Swinger. A Valiant has the short wheelbase and the Scamp has the longer wheel base.

The whole front is different then the Dart. Hood, fenders, grill and front bumper. Basically had the whole valiant/duster nose.

I just purchased a 1974 Scamp..other than the body differences are all the mechanical and running gear items the exact same as the Dart of the same year..I need to know because I am starting resto work on the car and many more items seem to come up with a Dart search than with a Plymouth search.

I just purchased a 1974 Scamp..other than the body differences are all the mechanical and running gear items the exact same as the Dart of the same year..I need to know because I am starting resto work on the car and many more items seem to come up with a Dart search than with a Plymouth search.

Pretty much... Most stuff from a Duster will work to. Pretty much most A body mechanicals interchange. Interior is probably the place where most items dont cross over.

Basically in a nut shell. Everything from the front of the doors forward is going to be duster. From the front of the doors back is dart. Brakes are the same, suspension is the same. Rears are the same. Drive shaft is different. Engines, transmissions, steering parts are the same. There are differences in these parts from the early years but 74 pretty much interchange.

They did mix and match bodystyles quite a bit between the Dart and Valiant in the early seventies.

Short version:

When the redesigned bodies came out in 1967 the Valiant rode on a 108" wheelbase, the Dart was a little longer with its 111".
The Valiant was only offered as a 2 or 4 door sedan while the Dart was also available as a hardtop and convertible.

The "trouble" all started when Plymouth added the Duster in 1970 (Still on the Valiant wheelbase). When the Barracuda went from A to E-body there was no sporty 2-door Plymouth A-body to put the 340 in, thats where the Duster came into the picture. It was actually developed much for that reason and not meant to be a high volume seller but much to Chryslers surprise it sold in huge numbers with the six and 318.
Seeing how succesfull the Duster was, Dodge also wanted one. Thats were the mixing starts.. Their Demon was introduced in 1971, basically a Duster with Dart front clip and its own taillights, including the short wheelbase. Just take a look at a Demons wheel arches, Dodge front and Plymouth rear, not matching at all. But it does look good with the bigger lip on the rear fenders.

But they didn't stop there.. It was also decided to make a Plymouth 2-door hardtop, the Scamp. Introduced in 1971 it was, as mentioned in earlier posts, a Dart with Valiant front clip. The Scamp also has mismatched wheelarches but the other way around. When you think of it it does look a little funny with the bigger lip of the Valiant fenders on the front and the contoured Dart rear lips..

So from 1971 the only Valiant riding on the long wheelbase was the Scamp, the sedan was still 108". But that changed in 1974 when all Valiants adopted the Darts 111" wheelbase and the 2-door hardtop could also be had as an ordinary Valiant without the Scamp name..

Still not confused? :tongue:

In 71 plymouth gave the duster body to dodge and they added the dart front to make the Demon. Dodge geve the Dart Swinger body to plymouth . They added the duster front and made the scamp. Scamps are only 2 door hard tops. Demons are 2 door fast backs . They are both mix matched from the prior 1970 cars. The dusters were a light weight no frills body that could take a big tire. No fender extensions, 5 inch shorter hood. 108 wheel base verses 111. in the dart/scamp

I dont beleive you could get a 2 door valiant after 1973 only the scamp came in a 2 door after 1973

I can get a pic of a Scamp i have from the car show. But the Scamp wasnt at the car show but parked next to it and there is a fence in front of the car. But i will get it on here in a few.

A Scamp was a cheap upgrated family car built in Canada. With a slant six or a 318.

Attachments

• Scamp9.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 613
Ok. Here's the real deal:
The Scamp and Duster are both Valiants .
To prove it , just check their VIN numbers. You'll see the letter "V" in the VIN numbers of both.
That "V" stands for Valiant (just check any online VIN number translator.)
If you still don't believe it , go to Google and enter this: "1971 Plymouth Lineup", then click on "images" . You'll see that The Scamp and Duster are both part of the VALIANT line .
The Scamp and The Duster ARE the two-door versions of the Valiant.
Both cars are a part of the Plymouth VALIANT line. I know....I have a Valiant Scamp.

Last edited:
ORrrrrrr, th '70 Duster had a Valiant emblem, which emblem was dropped after '70, as they sold the heck out if Duster and it stood on its own!???? ha

an to sqeeze the poop out of a nickel, why should Ma Mopar spend money for tooling, just use pieces and parts from Dodge and Plymouth!!!???? ha again

ORrrrrrr, th '70 Duster had a Valiant emblem, which emblem was dropped after '70, as they sold the heck out if Duster and it stood on its own!???? ha

an to sqeeze the poop out of a nickel, why should Ma Mopar spend money for tooling, just use pieces and parts from Dodge and Plymouth!!!???? ha again
Indeed.

Last edited:
-
Back