Scarebird pics

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
With a beefy stroker going in and a front suspension rebuild, I decided to go with the Scarebird conversion. I figured it was the only way to keep costs down and I really wanted to keep my Cragars.

After laying in the garage a couple months, I finally got everything "mocked up". Thought I'd TRY to post a couple pics incase anyone's interested.

Everything went together real nice and the 14" Cragars fit! By the size of the calipers I'm sure this thing will stop way better than the 10" drums. Real nice set up.

Please excuse the messy garage...and yes the calipers are now painted. Wheels need a bit o' polish too!

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 694
  • bracket2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 740
  • lines.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 661
  • rotor.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 685
  • wheel.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 647
Did those rotor come with the 5X4 pattern? Did you have to drill? How much does the set up cost total? thanks

I bought the whole kit for 485 bucks.Comes with everything including drilled rotors. Bolts, hoses, clips...the whole shebang. Coulda save a hundred bucks or so chasing all the parts my self.

Install is a piece of cake. Starightforward brake job.

I don't know yet how it'll stop......I ran into a guy at Norwalk last fall running mid 9's and he loved 'em. Time will tell. About a week or so, hopefully.

Yeah, that's a nice kit too. Very similar to the Scarebird. Thing is..I wanted to stick with my Cragars AND be able to put the Ralley's back on if I sell to some "original" guy someday. Had to stick with 5x4 or spend a ton on new wheels.

you can save a ton of money with the scarebird conversion by just getting the adapter plates from them and everything else from your local auto supply store, you just need to drill the rotors (easy)

Do you need to add a proportioning valve with these kits, and disc-brake master cylinder?

I installed a disc brake MC and called it good. I asked the same question yrs ago and the guys on here told me don't need a different PV just a disc MC.

ECI KIT!

Attachments

• ECI KIT 2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 491
  • ECI KIT.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 481
  • ECI KIT 3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 476
I've got a little under $200 in my scarebird kit, but, traded some parts for the plates.

If I had to buy the plates at full price the total would be about $245.

I have less than $150 in the rotors, calipers, etc. for the conversion parts from the scarebird parts list. A little frugal shopping with amazon and rock auto got most of the stuff.

I needed a master cyl anyhow, so bought a disc/drum type, and a new disc/drum distribution block. Should be good to go....Soon!

Did a new stroker this winter, which turned into a front susp rebuild, which turned into a rear susp and then frame connectors and so on..

It's been on jackstands since last October and if all goes well, I'll be driving it to the alignment shop in 2 weeks. Lots to do in 2 weeks, which to me means 4 days.

IronMike! You have saved my Cragars!
I was quite perturbed with Scarebird about a year ago because they werent able to give me an answer and then said they would get back to me on exactly what you have accomplished here.
At the time, the kit they had wouldnt let anything other than a stock steel wheel mount up. I was told that they would have something in a few weeks and then I continued to contact them for a while not getting any replies.
Glad to see this affordable solution has come to fruition!
Ill be doing a bit of brake work soon I suppose!
Did you buy a particular kit? Do they offer several different kits for the small bolt pattern now?

I only bought the one kit they offer for 10" drums. Marc at Scarebird wouldn't give me a definite yes or no on the Cragars. He said "probably". He's really a good guy and busy as hell. Name a car built since the 50's and he's probably got a kit for it. I guess it's hard to know all the details.

I fussed around for a couple months....he finally said if they don't work, just send it all back. I was keeping the kit anyhow, figuring I might have to order 15" Cragars at worst. REEEALLY didn't want to spend the bucks for that! If you buy, you might want to mention your wheels. He may have slightly different calipers or something.

I lucked out. The 14 wheels fit fine. WHEW!

-
Back