Scarebird Rear Conversion

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Since I was working on my rear I was thinking of converting mine to disk. Has anyone here converted their 8 3/4 from drum to disk using the Scarebird Adapters? I know Outlaw converted his from brakes to disk using their adapter and it seems to work well. I have a set up form a 73 Duster to convert the front. I'm also going to changing the bolt pattern from 4" - 4.5".

Looking for a cheaper route than spending the money on a rear disk brake conversion kit.

I have. Changed to 4.5 pattern axles. Used the Green bearing set up. Conversion tells you what rotor and caliper to buy at your local parts supplier. You'll need a adjustable portioning valve. Straight up instructions. Here's a pic of it.

DSC00403.JPG

Now that is just freakin AWESOME!!! Nothing like 4 wheel disk!!! I'll be definitly looking into this!! Thanks Dart72!

Can you use your stock axles??? Or do you need to buy new ones??? I'm not quite ready to switch out my baby bolts just yet. My front disks are 4's so I'd like to keep the same rims all around.

How much did the set up cost? I know the adapter is $130. Can you give me a break down? Can use the emergency brake? Any unforeseen problems?

rednesss said:
Can you use your stock axles??? Or do you need to buy new ones??? I'm not quite ready to switch out my baby bolts just yet. My front disks are 4's so I'd like to keep the same rims all around.

The adapter bolts the housing so all would need to do for small bolt pattern is just get the rotors redrilled for the 4" bolt pattern.

blackace said:
The adapter bolts the housing so all would need to do for small bolt pattern is just get the rotors redrilled for the 4" bolt pattern.

A body axles have a different offset then B,C and E bodies as well. You will need aftermarket axles set up for B bofy brakes.

I have the adapters but havent used them yet.

The axle offset is different on SBP axles than the LBP axles so the rotor will have to deep of dish for the caliper. It's the same reason you can't use LBP drum brakes on SBP axles. Plus the rotor won't register on the SBP axle because it is smaller than the LBP rotor used. The rotor needs to be hub piloted not stud piloted.

Chuck

I think I was in the $275-$300 range but I didn't use the park brake caliper. Now this was last year and the brackets were around $100. They use Caddy Eldo calipers so you can have a E brake. The caliper does it all. They are a bit costly if you don't have a core. The only problem I had was the lower caliper pin cannot be installed unless the spring is lowered away from the axle. I used a small GM caliper and the rotor was off a Crown Vic. Oh yea, the cost was with new flex brake lines and pads. :thumbup:

Any body out there know of a complete after market kit to change from drum to disc ? I'm talking complete- rotors, calipers, brkts ,pads etc I hate getting parts from one dealer and something else from another.

Thanks.Bob/ Bryce

MR.7DUSTER3 said:
Any body out there know of a complete after market kit to change from drum to disc ? I'm talking complete- rotors, calipers, brkts ,pads etc I hate getting parts from one dealer and something else from another.

Thanks.Bob/ Bryce

Scarebird says they will supply all of the items needed to do the conversion.

Chuck

I just wanted to pitch another option to someone who may want to use a factory rear disc brake set up. The later 70s C Bodies used a factory rear disc brake that can be installed. I do have that set up but didn't use it due to the fact the Scarebird Kit was lighter. I would sell what I have.

I didn't like the way others did it, so I designed my own. Porsche Boxster S up front, '04 Mustang Cobra rear. 245/40/17 on 17x8 up front and 275/40/17 on 17x9 in the rear. A little more wiring and she hits the road!

Front-Brakes 001.jpg

Rear-Brakes 001.JPG

Rear-Brakes 002.JPG

Front brakes 001.jpg

Front brakes 003.jpg

Rear-Brackets.JPG

.140 & .125 structural grade stainless. Surface ground and laser cut.

.500" 6061 Al

Grade 8 and 187,000 psi A/C grade hardware

Contrast the design and materials with what else is out there.

Built 3 sets, sold 2 and got mine for "free". Sort of. :>)

what can be done if i have moser axles 4.5" bc but there set up for the abody drums, which i drilled??? any conv. for disk

Scamp said:
I didn't like the way others did it, so I designed my own. Porsche Boxster S up front, '04 Mustang Cobra rear. 245/40/17 on 17x8 up front and 275/40/17 on 17x9 in the rear. A little more wiring and she hits the road!

Pretty Nice!!!

How much did that set cost you?

h340 said:
what can be done if i have moser axles 4.5" bc but there set up for the abody drums, which i drilled??? any conv. for disk

Nothing that I know of.

blackace said:
Pretty Nice!!!

How much did that set cost you?

Front:
Calipers/pads = $400 (special deal, usually $600 or so)
Brackets/adapters = $250 (one off CNC price)
Rotors = $60 (Standard 11.75" Police rotors, NOT Chinese!)

Rear:
Calipers/pads = $220? (Web) Standard Mustang Cobra rear
Brackets/adapters = $300 (three off CNC laser and waterjet price)
Rotors = $60 (Standard 11.69" Canadian Mustang Cobra)
E-brake cables = $50? (web)

All brackets/adapters designed by me in AutoCAD

dart72 said:
I have. Changed to 4.5 pattern axles. Used the Green bearing set up. Conversion tells you what rotor and caliper to buy at your local parts supplier. You'll need a adjustable portioning valve. Straight up instructions. Here's a pic of it.

What is this going on a 72 Dart? I was just gonna order them from Mark at Scarebird but he doesn't know if there are any issues with springs etc... He states he has never done one on an A Body.

Has anyone else done this conversion? I want to know of any issues before I order them.

-
Back