School me on balancing an engine.

-

68fastback

Reaction score
I need to learn a bit on balancing a 360 engine. Does the machine shop need the block to do an internal balance or can I just bring the crank pistons and rods?

I brought in my harmonic damper and flexplate as well as the above mentioned items by xring since my 360 is externally balanced. That wouldn't be necessary with an internally balanced engine like a 318.

You do need to have the harmonic damper and the flywheel or flexplate balanced! I balanced many engines in my machinist career. I would get the crank balanced perfectly with just the bobweights on it (assuming it's internally balanced), then put the harmonic damper and flywheel or flexplate on and every time, it would throw the whole assembly out of balance. If it's a 4 speed, you add the clutch cover and balance that after the flywheel is done. No need to do the disc, as it always stop in a different place. No way to index it.

If you use the extrnal parts during the balacing portion... then it's externally balanced. You do not use them for internal.

So for an internal balance I can just bring my crank rods and pistons and have them balance that? What do I need for a flex plate and dampener? Or do I bring them as well?

Also does the crank pistons and rods need to be put together or do they do that when they balance it?

So for an internal balance I can just bring my crank rods and pistons and have them balance that? What do I need for a flex plate and dampener? Or do I bring them as well?

Also does the crank pistons and rods need to be put together or do they do that when they balance it?

If you don't have your flexplate or harmonic balancer yet; you can get your assembly internal balanced; then when you get your harmonic balancer and flexplate, make sure you get ones that are neutral balance (meant to work for internal balanced engine).

You don't need to put any components together.

The best thing would be just to call your machine shop and ask them what to bring. Most shops are eager to help and don't mind you asking questions (they are used to it).

my biggest problem is I only have one shop anywhere near me and they are not nice people. They act like I owe them and will not even give me the time of day until I pay them the money then they will work on my stuff. I dont like there attitude but there is nobody else in the area and they know that.

Well I got one fer ya'll then. I just bought an Eagle steel 4 inch stroke crank, forged aluminum, dished pistons, Eagle I beam rods, all with ARP hardware. It was all sold through Indy as a kit. Before they shipped it, I had them internally balance the crank. I have a balancer that has the removable counterwieght, and will go with a non-wieghted converter. My question is this..... I thought the crank would have mallory slugs in it, they just drilled the crank throwes. This is not what I was expecting, Is it right?

my biggest problem is I only have one shop anywhere near me and they are not nice people. They act like I owe them and will not even give me the time of day until I pay them the money then they will work on my stuff. I dont like there attitude but there is nobody else in the area and they know that.

I feel for you. I do the same thing when I'm dealing with somebody I don't completely trust.

Well I got one fer ya'll then. I just bought an Eagle steel 4 inch stroke crank, forged aluminum, dished pistons, Eagle I beam rods, all with ARP hardware. It was all sold through Indy as a kit. Before they shipped it, I had them internally balance the crank. I have a balancer that has the removable counterwieght, and will go with a non-wieghted converter. My question is this..... I thought the crank would have mallory slugs in it, they just drilled the crank throwes. This is not what I was expecting, Is it right?

Mine was the same as yours...forged Eagle crank, SIR rods, Ross dish pistons, no heavy metal in the crank for internal balance.

Eagle has enough meat to not need Mallory for I beam rods. I think H beams would need it. The last MP/Scat ones I did needed Mallory to internally balance H beams.

-
Back