Schumacher headers 440 in 71 Duster

-
Maybe we all should be running nitro on the street, because as we all know, it is only about the horsepower!

Meth.png

Back to you don't know squat. I never said I ran the stock manifolds, just that the Schumachers are better than the stock manifolds.

I will repeat, it is always not about horsepower with a street car, which most of us have.
If its not about horsepower than why do you have a big block? Are you just compensating for something? That would make sense now.

If its not about horsepower than why do you have a big block? Are you just compensating for something? That would make sense now.

When you own an original big block four speed car like my 69 383-s, you don't put in a small block. I already had the 440+6 from another car, so it was an easy decision. The car was fun in a straight line. Would have been a better car overall with a good running 340.

Besides, a big block is an easy bolt in. I don’t know why people think it is tough.

I bought the conversion mounts and torque strap at the same time as I bought my Headers from the Schumacher guy at Carlisle some 7 years ago. Put it all together and drove it for a year like that. A 440 with Stealth heads and six pack set-up. I really didn't like the sound of the open headers so the next summer I went back to Carlisle and bought the 2 inch TTI's . A little bit more work to install but well worth the effort. Sold the Schumacher's here in the sales section.

I bought the conversion mounts and torque strap at the same time as I bought my Headers from the Schumacher guy at Carlisle some 7 years ago. Put it all together and drove it for a year like that. A 440 with Stealth heads and six pack set-up. I really didn't like the sound of the open headers so the next summer I went back to Carlisle and bought the 2 inch TTI's . A little bit more work to install but well worth the effort. Sold the Schumacher's here in the sales section.
I'm going with the 2" TTI's as well and 3" exhaust with x pipe. They are located 30min from my house as well.

yeah at low rpm I'm sure they rip, but top end-= negative ghostrider
Tri-y works well and fit better than and full length big tube headers but yeah they're not a high rpm header but most big blocks peak well under 6,000 rpm and unless you take your car to the strip or dyno it it's probably way less than 500hp.

Tri-y works well and fit better than and full length big tube headers but yeah they're not a high rpm header but most big blocks peak well under 6,000 rpm and unless you take your car to the strip or dyno it it's probably way less than 500hp.
How much power is the tri-y making more than a set of cast iron manifolds? Is it really worth it?

How much power is the tri-y making more than a set of cast iron manifolds? Is it really worth it?
A lot more! comparable to 1 7/8 full length until 500hp and great torque through midrange.yes it's worth it if you ever learned how the tri-y works it's weird compared to conventional headers and yes full length with a 3" collector is better suited for higher rpm and hp applications but until your deep in the 11's tri-y is fine

I use cutouts about halfway down the exhaust and sounds better than off collector.

I did not realize the thread kept going....

I went with Schumachers just to get it done, i will look at TTI later once I have actually had it on the road for a bit. They fit so nice, and spark plug changes are so easy with the Schumachers so who knows.

My car is an original 340 car, but everything was kept by the guy that sold me the roller (he's very different), so keeping it original was never in the cards.

i did the 440 because honestly it's awesome to look at, the torque is unmatched, etc etc.

I am not worried about handling, as I have aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump and water pump housing. I would bet that this 440 weighs very close to a stock all iron 340 that used to sit there. I also went with an aluminum manual steering box which weighs quite a bit less than the power box that was there before. It should feel very close in my humble opinion. I will report back on this when the snow melts and I drive the snot out of it

I am the worst Mopar owner in that I don't care at all about originality for my own car, which bothers alot of purits. I respect all mopars, so to each there own.

I know I am going to get alot of grief over the decals I had made to compliment my factory 340 decals as well....

4403.png

440.jpeg

4402.jpeg

I did not realize the thread kept going....

I went with Schumachers just to get it done, i will look at TTI later once I have actually had it on the road for a bit. They fit so nice, and spark plug changes are so easy with the Schumachers so who knows.

My car is an original 340 car, but everything was kept by the guy that sold me the roller (he's very different), so keeping it original was never in the cards.

i did the 440 because honestly it's awesome to look at, the torque is unmatched, etc etc.

I am not worried about handling, as I have aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump and water pump housing. I would bet that this 440 weighs very close to a stock all iron 340 that used to sit there. I also went with an aluminum manual steering box which weighs quite a bit less than the power box that was there before. It should feel very close in my humble opinion. I will report back on this when the snow melts and I drive the snot out of it

I am the worst Mopar owner in that I don't care at all about originality for my own car, which bothers alot of purits. I respect all mopars, so to each there own.

I know I am going to get alot of grief over the decals I had made to compliment my factory 340 decals as well....

View attachment 1716043073

View attachment 1716043075

View attachment 1716043077
Man almost identical to the way I built mine with aluminum parts and steering, I even took the sway bar out and never noticed any difference in handling.

What is the tube diameter of the Tri-y headers?

Engine masters did test try-y's against their dyno headers but with a brand-x engine and not shumacher but really close to the same design.

Screenshot_20230204-030407_MotorTrend+.jpg

I know I am a few weeks behind on this post. But for everyones info, my Scamp will run 11.30s and 11.40s depending on the track with Schumacher headers.

race2 md 001 (2).jpg

Last edited:
SO to OPs question when I installed my motor with an engine hoist I lade the headers into the engine bay and put the motor in on to them. Now that I lower the car onto the K-Member I have everything bolted up and just lower the car down onto the motor with the heads already attached.

I remember your car and how quick it ran thanks for clearing up the misconception of these headers.
What misconception? They make less horsepower than a full length header- facts. Do they work decent for street/strip use- yes. There for a low budget easy installation application. I would never spend 10k on a motor and then put Schumachers on it. If I had a stock built or mild built big block for daily driving then yes, I may use them.

What misconception? They make less horsepower than a full length header- facts. Do they work decent for street/strip use- yes. There for a low budget easy installation application. I would never spend 10k on a motor and then put Schumachers on it. If I had a stock built or mild built big block for daily driving then yes, I may use them.
Never said for racing but if they are within a couple hp of a dyno header well...

-
Back