Schumacker headers and mounts w power steering

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
About to shoe horn my 440 into my 1970 Dart. Question is.... Do the headers and motor mounts work with power steering?? Anything else know...?. I also saw someone said the Mopar valve covers hit the heater motor and need to be notched

Anyone do this swap give some in-site before i start

20161223_164128.jpg

Yes the mounts and headers will fit with power steering. I have them on my 383 swap. The 440s require you to grind an ear off the drivers side lower part of the block. Headers can be a bear to get in with the motor in the car but once they are in the fit very nicely. I can't speak for the 440 valve covers hitting the heater motor but my 383s do not.

There are a few different mods for the heater motor in the how to section, I had it with mine.

One thing I regret not doing is drilling holes in the passenger side fender well to get to the spark plugs. Really good time to clean up the engine bay and replace any gaskets that are needed. After that all I needed was the oil pan, and a dipstick tube. I went with cables for the kickdown linkage way easier to do than trying to mod something to use. Just thinking here I had to do a driveshaft, and mess around with the shifter linkage also. What rear are you going to use? I have a 8.25 and it is fine up to 500 hp.

Last edited:
If you use the direct connection chrome valve covers they are shorter on the ends,and will fit under the blower motor. Yes these headers work with power steering. Set your headers down in the engine bay before you drop the motor in.

What heads are you running? No matter what valve covers you use on TrickFlows you will be deep into the blower motor.

On my old 69 dart, I slotted the holes on firewall to slide blower motor over. I was able to clear M/T covers. There was plenty of room in heaterbox so fan didn't rub.

On my old 69 dart, I slotted the holes on firewall to slide blower motor over. I was able to clear M/T covers. There was plenty of room in heaterbox so fan didn't rub.
Iike your thinking

I have a 440 with original k member and m/t valves cover and have clearence with the heater motor, my car is a 68 barracuda

Yes with stock heads, 440 source stealth heads, or Edelbrock RPMs you shouldn't have whole lot of its a pretty easy instal. Now go with Trickflow (read taller heads) you're going to have some major clearance issues. I un bolted the blower motor from the firewall and still had to bang in the valve cover and notch the rocker shaft hold downs so i could get the motor in.

I have a 440 with original k member and m/t valves cover and have clearence with the heater motor, my car is a 68 barracuda
ditto for mine. 73 Duster, schu mounts and headers. zero interference with the blower motor or power steering using factory heads and some chrome OEM style mopar performance covers.

-
Back