Scoop Decision

-

65BCODA

Reaction score
As I have been building this car over the years a hood scoop has always been part of the plan. If anything just for the aggressive look.

I do not have hood clearence issues and will be running a custom cold air intake system drawing from the rad support. The scoop will mainly serve as an engine compartment temp control allowing heat to vent / drawing cool air down and under sitting /moving respectfully. As well as adding some personality so to speak.

Over time I have acquirred a Sixpack scoop and a Dual Snorkel scoop. To tell the trueth neither one really feels right to me on this car.
I have since purchased a scoop I feel will fit the bill.
Low profile, the prerequisite aggressive look as well as integrated turn signals.

I'm by far not a purist in a pedigree sense, as I already have Furd brakes, this is where I'm at in the moment.

If you squint the eyes you can almost envision it I think.
Of course the 351 badging will be replaced by 408 badging.

!BrC,ktQ!2k~$(KGrHqMH-CUEu65iyGIyBL)8QgOyl!~~_3.jpg

!BrC,wRw!mk~$(KGrHqEH-C0EvDJMtMuVBL)8RMo(Mg~~_3.jpg

!BrCbCp!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CwEvF4U2iG0BL)8Si4LIg~~_3.jpg

1969-mustang-mach-1-original-hood-scoop-2.jpg

27230_112318122131897_100000611292404_132605_7815942_n.jpg

65BCODA -
I'm not a purist either since I'm seriously considering using a built 200-4R overdrive transmission behind the 360 in my '69 Dart build.
But prominent visual items are a different matter. Something like a scoop on your beautiful early Barracuda just has to scream MOPAR in my opinion. No Chevy cowl-induction scoops and no Ford scoops on a Mopar.
Mother Mopar designed some of the most visually marque-identifiable scoops during the musclecar era and a Mopar needs a Mopar scoop. I'm not saying you must have a "same-year-specific" Mopar scoop, there's lots of styles to choose from.
Personally, I think the six-pack style has been done to death. I'm also looking for another alternative for my '69 Dart. Of course, the '68 Hemi-Dart and Hemi-Cuda scoops are probably the most impressive "image" scoop available, but they may be a bit too much at times.
If I was you, I'd consider either the '64 Max-Wedge or Ramcharger style, the '65 B-Body Hemi scoop or the '67 B-Body Hemi Scoop. If you're looking for something with a little more modern look, how about the Challenger T/A style snorkel scoop? A photo of each follows as well as a pic of the '68 Valiant charity raffle car my club (Inland Mopars Car Club) built in 2008.
Good luck on whatever you decide on.

64RamchargerScoop.jpg

65BBodyHemiScoop.jpg

67BBodyHemiScoop.jpg

ChallengerTAScoop.jpg

MATS2008002_edited (Small).JPG

-
Back