Scoop Imput

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Been away from my 68 Cuda for a while (got a bad ski boat bug) but im back. It is amazing how going to the local track on a friday will have you back in the garage tinkering. So here is what I got:
I was talking to a local points leader with a car simular to mine a noticed he ran an air cleaner and he swore by it. He said the amount of crud kicked up by catching slower cars was mind blowing and that he lost no performance by running a filter. It got me wondering about running one myself.
I ran one when I had my cowl on the car but now with a six pack scoop on the car and my new motor I cant even get a 2.5in element under so now im thinking about going to a new scoop. I have ordered a harwood tri aero afer seeing one on a 68 cuda, it looks killer on the car to me but may imply more than what the car can do.
I know "my car-- my scoop" but I want you'lls advice. I know cars can run with a six pack but i dont have room for a cleaner, I wanna stay pure to Mopar but im on the fence, please push me off one way or the other.
Here the what the scoop looks like on that 68. I have all the same car minus his kill Hemi

http://www.v8.co.nz/articles/badass-barracuda-1968-plymouth-barracuda-fastback-26

Are you talking about a 1/4 mile car or one that will be driven on the street? I gather from your post that it is a race car. I have never seen an air filter used in any of the "money" classes at the track. I have, however, seen some cars with "**** screens" over the intakes to keep big stuff out, like candy wrappers and such, on windy days.

The problem with running a filter in a bracket class is that the filters would need to be changed a lot to maintain time consistency, as a dust- and oil-loaded filter will certainly affect engine efficiency.

If it is a street car, be aware that some police departments frown on any scoops interfering with the line of sight. Always use a filter on the street.

Sorry i should have said, it is a race car.
Im with you, I have only seen some cars running a filter with the majority not running one. I could put a screen in the 6 pack but disiding what size mesh may get tuff. This guy blew out his filter after every pass and seemed to have no problem. the tracks down here are all in the country with on track having grass pit parking. Im just not sure what to do.

You're right, MidTex, that Kiwi 'Cuda is a killer-lookin' ride. Love the black paint and simple graphics.
BTW, I also agree that's a good-looking scoop on the '68 body style. Looks very similar to current Pro-Stock scoops.

Been away from my 68 Cuda for a while (got a bad ski boat bug) but im back. It is amazing how going to the local track on a friday will have you back in the garage tinkering. So here is what I got:
I was talking to a local points leader with a car simular to mine a noticed he ran an air cleaner and he swore by it. He said the amount of crud kicked up by catching slower cars was mind blowing and that he lost no performance by running a filter. It got me wondering about running one myself.
I ran one when I had my cowl on the car but now with a six pack scoop on the car and my new motor I cant even get a 2.5in element under so now im thinking about going to a new scoop. I have ordered a harwood tri aero afer seeing one on a 68 cuda, it looks killer on the car to me but may imply more than what the car can do.
I know "my car-- my scoop" but I want you'lls advice. I know cars can run with a six pack but i dont have room for a cleaner, I wanna stay pure to Mopar but im on the fence, please push me off one way or the other.
Here the what the scoop looks like on that 68. I have all the same car minus his kill Hemi

http://www.v8.co.nz/articles/badass-barracuda-1968-plymouth-barracuda-fastback-26

That freaking car looks like its going 200 MPH just sitting there! Wow......

What about the tall Mopar Pro scoop in the pic?(scoop L)
These look killer on Mopars ,I think it gives them that old school "Pro Stock Mopar" look =)
G_16508G_CL_3.jpg

I have the tallest 6pack they make on it now and my carb sit about 2 inches through the hood in the front and a tad bit through in the rear. I can only fit a 11" cleaner now because I put the scoop to far forward (looked funny far back)and they dont make a drop base for a 4500 carb in that size.

Onebaddodge71, which company is selling these scoops? The only 7' Mopar pro scoop i could find took up the entire legth of my 68 fish hood. I want to buy one used or new. thx Kevin

-
Back