Scoop'd Hood

-

Cliffjumper

Reaction score
I love the way the stock hood looks on my 68' Barracuda. With a 440 and headers it gets way too hot in the engine bay... I Desided to part with it...
Had this hood was display in my bedroom, put it on the cuda last night. One question and one opinion for ya. The hood sits really close (flush) to the fender on the passenger side. What can I do to even it out side to side?
I also want your opinion on this. Leave it as is Satin Black or Body Color?

IMG00076.jpg

My father said I might need to shim the fender. Is that right?

It depends, how is the spacing on the driver's side? If the driver's side gap is too big, or even just bigger, you could probably just put a washer or two between the hinge and the hood on the passenger side and move it over a touch, you should still be able to get the hood latch to line up with adjustment.

If the gap on the driver's side is correct, then you may have to shim the fender...

Yeah the gap on the drivers side is large. Going to massage it and try to get a better fit later today. Thanks for the input I will keep that in mind. I will post some pics show how it came out. Its getting sprayed white soon, just don't like the black. I might get some more paint done while I'm there. Ya know how it is .

did you mount that scoop to the stock steel hood and paint it? or is it a fiberglass hood to go with that combo. I want that hood scoop but need to mount it to my steel hood. Anybody have knowledge on this?

did you mount that scoop to the stock steel hood and paint it? or is it a fiberglass hood to go with that combo. I want that hood scoop but need to mount it to my steel hood. Anybody have knowledge on this?

Thats mounted to a steel hood. Does'nt look like its riveted. The gut that did it, did it right. I'd rather go with a fiberglass scoop'd hood because you get more of an opening in the hood. All I can fit without destroying the structural integrity is a 15" hole. I'll shoot some pics tonight.

Mounting a fiberglass scoop to a steel hood is kinda problematic. It gets done a lot, but it really isn't the best deal. The fiberglass and steel have different expansion rates when they heat/cool, so that tends to make any bodywork to make the scoop look flush with the hood crack. The scoops also catch air (duh), so the lift puts stress on the scoop to hood joint. Getting a steel scoop, or an entirely fiberglass hood, is a better way to go...

If that's not an option, take a good look at the fiberglass scoop you get. Some of them have metal tabs glassed into them so they can be bolted down, which helps take stress off the outer lip.

thanks 72blunblu i just ordered it and made sure i asked a few questions. The one i ordered has the inside tabs for more stability.

Threw some washers in between the hood and the bracket. Evened out everything from side to side for now. The car needs some body work but thats later down the road. Your right about scoops grabbing air like a ****. Noticed a seperation from the scoop to the hood, posted a pic below. There is another pic I'm posting showing the 15" hole in the hood. Thats about as big as you can go on a steel hood without killing its strength. Thanks for your input guys and Good Luck with that scoop varlo.

IMG00093.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

-
Back