Score!!! 5303 Hooker 1 7/8 super comp full under chassis headers......extinct these days

-

Mtrhead

Ace of Spades ♠️
Reaction score
Thanks to a great member on this site I finally scored a set of 5303 hooker super comps....been dreaming if them since the 90's.....now I need to build engine up more to afford the free flow 1 7/8 primary tubes....yehaw

20230803_174455.jpg

20230803_174500.jpg

Thanks Rumble can't wait to have enough engine to put it all together

I will definitely get them blasted and Jet hot coated..inside and out

I'm looking for the tunable 3.5 " extensions with the primary extensions also

I'm looking for all these extra pieces

IMG_0640.JPG.jpg

I will definitely get them blasted and Jet hot coated..inside and out
After they’re fitted in for clearance! I know that’s a BIG - PIA!
I'm looking for the tunable 3.5 " extensions with the primary extensions also
I just simply picked up a 3-1/2 X 5’ pipe. Is the same dang size as the collector! Ugh! LOL! So a pair of connectors. Not really happy about it but it’ll due and be used.

IMG_0879.jpeg

I'm looking for all these extra pieces

View attachment 1716122742
I’m sure you’ll be able to find suitable tubing in that size somewhere. I’d hate to just say run to the Hooker web site and scroll away, though I’m not sure if they have it, but….. somewhere local should be able to help.

I’m sure a little extra tube length for torque can/could be a good thing. It’s something I want to try out as well once I get the engines built and to the dyno. Crap like this gets my gears in the head well lubed up! Test test test!!!!

I have one set that needs repair on the twin ports, drivers side.
From a previous owner, evac tubes are welded in on the collector. If I can, I’d like to move them to the center of the converging individual tubes. That would be ideal IMO. Possibly! Less flexable tube needed.
The other set is a bit rusty and it should be just fine for service. I have one set of tubes for that set of headers with the extended straps.

I have to say I completely don’t share your enthusiasm.. I just finished taking a Sawzall to mine in order to remove them…. I completely say invest in TTI’s. You will swear a lot less.

that said, I’m glad you are happy with them. until you go to install them….. sorry I couldn’t resist.

seriously - happy for you…….. I think .

I bet he got them a lot cheaper than brand new TTI’s!
I got both of mine for less than half of a new TTI set.
Waaaaaayyyyyyyyy less!!!

I just can't figure out which one to build for racing...decisions...ughgggg

20230803_123954.jpg

20230803_124945.jpg

I have to say I completely don’t share your enthusiasm.. I just finished taking a Sawzall to mine in order to remove them…. I completely say invest in TTI’s. You will swear a lot less.

that said, I’m glad you are happy with them. until you go to install them….. sorry I couldn’t resist.

seriously - happy for you…….. I think .
Why a Sawzall they slip together.....smh

Hey Rumble I could have never got them without you big guy you turned them down so I could get them big thanks!!!

After you're done beating and banging on them to get them to fit, take them up to Calico Coatings near Hickory, NC. It's about a 3 hour drive for you, and they have forgotten more about coating headers than Jet Hot knows!

Will do it JD ...and these have already been dinged and banged on to fit they came off of bracket car just like what I'll be putting them on...I'm a fella that used old blackjack and headmans....these slip tube will be an absolute treat....I will check them out because I want a coating to last....

Looks to me like the rear tube on each side goes thru the fenderwell (like mine).I could be wrong.
To hook up my hooker adjustables , I just welded on collector rings, welded on matching ring on the exhaust system, and the collector extensions.

Calico did a set of TTI's for me that were originally the old nickel plate finish and turned blue as soon as I installed them. Pulled the car apart to restore it after a few years and took the headers to Calico. They did them inside and out. I put 15 or 20K miles on the car over the next 5 years and the headers looked as good when I sold it as they did when I got them back from Calico.

I'm a little older than you, and my go to's back in the day were Hedman and Appliance headers. :)

Why a Sawzall they slip together.....smh
One set I have was sawzalled to take off by another header shop. I wasn’t quick enough to save the first two tubes but the rest are OK.
Hey Rumble I could have never got them without you big guy you turned them down so I could get them big thanks!!!
Oooooooo yeaaaa, I remember that deal. I did pass on them. I ended up with a second set that was a few hours drive here in Florida being sold by a member here. He also has a race Valore for sale here now. Nice car, no room here. The set I got from him was close in price. So worth the fuel to burn to get them. Excellent fella. We still stay in touch.
After you're done beating and banging on them to get them to fit, take them up to Calico Coatings near Hickory, NC. It's about a 3 hour drive for you, and they have forgotten more about coating headers than Jet Hot knows!
[/URL]
Excellent tip! I’ll have to remember that.

These are definitely under chassis headers that one tube does not go through the firewall like the 1 3/4 ones do

One set I have was sawzalled to take off by another header shop. I wasn’t quick enough to save the first two tubes but the rest are OK.

Oooooooo yeaaaa, I remember that deal. I did pass on them. I ended up with a second set that was a few hours drive here in Florida being sold by a member here. He also has a race Valore for sale here now. Nice car, no room here. The set I got from him was close in price. So worth the fuel to burn to get them. Excellent fella. We still stay in touch.

Excellent tip! I’ll have to remember that.
Easy to find off of either I-40 or I-85. :thumbsup:

I had an old set of a body headers that the driver's torsion bar went through one of the tubes

Nice score, we bought those same headders back in the 80's ! Still have them ! Only because of Jim Kolbrick of New Image Coatings in Struthers, Ohio. He is BY FAR THE BEST when it comes to high heat coatings INSIDE & OUT ! Do yourself a favor and send them to him, you will not regret it !!! Tell him Frank from Ed's Welding sent you, carry on.

-
Back