Scored at Upullandpay

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Went to upullandpay yesterday to get some pullies and brackets. Just happened to look under a 74 D200 4x4 which had an 8 3/4 and to my surprise the 3rd member was still in it. So, I immediately went to tearin it out!! It's a 489 case open with 3:55's in it!! Score!! $59.99 later it's sittin in the back of the Jeep.
Every time i've been there, someone's already pulled the 3rds out. Guess I got lucky this time.
There was a late 60's dodge sweptline there with an 8 3/4 with a 741 case open i'm sure, i guess i could pull it if anyone wants it....that's if it's still there.

There was also a 65 Valiant 200 4 door. Rough shape, still had some decent arm rest pads, light blue. I pulled the front turn/parking lenses, they are in drivers shape, both have a small chip but wouldn't be noticed once mounted...those will be for sale. If anyone's interested In some parts off of it, i can go back and check this week.
There is also a 76 Dart 4door /6 car. Grille was in great shape and there was also a bunch of other stuff on the car in good shape.

Ah, so you've discovered one of my well kept secrets have you??? You see, in the 70's, when a truck was ordered as a 4 wheel drive, if the gear ratio was a 3:54 in the front axle (Dana 44), then the truck would get a 3:55 in the rear (8 3/4"), to allow the truck to drive in 4 wheel. Most of the time you'll get lucky and also find that the rear is a sure grip unit as the front always is, thereby getting "true" 4 wheel drive. I always look under the trucks if I see them, you find many more of them in the junkyard than cars anymore, and very seldom does this little known fact surface, making the possibility of your score more frequent!!! Nice pick bud!!! Geof

The truck must have been wrongly badged as a 200 series is a 3/4 ton and should have a Dana 60 with 8 lug wheels. Check the '76 Dart for disc brakes. Those are always popular. On the '65 Valiant, the shift and park cables are a hard item to find in good shape.

What kind of shape was the dash cluster in? What color and condition is the door panels in? I'm looking for Olive green one's with NO woodgrain? I want decent ones if you go back, snap a couple pic's if you don't mind. Like Cudamark said, check for Disc brakes up front and if it is, grab the brake block as there is alway's people looking for them. Do'es it have power or manual steering? Both of those piece's normally are not hard to sell if you can buy them for a good price.

Cudamark, my dad actually has a 74 adventurer se club cab 200 2wd w/400 big block and it also has an 8 3/4...it had a 3:55 posi unit in it. Now a 3:23. Maybe someone put it in, but my dad is the 2nd owner. Before him, an old man and woman who pulled a camper with it. 254,000mi later my dad acquired it...10yrs ago, lol. Been a good truck...still drives it every day to work.
I had already snagged the brakes earlier ( a month ago or so) from the Dart. :)
I may make a trip back tomorrow to see if the Valiant is still there. I know it has a manual steering box on it.
The Dart I think was a power steering unit. I'll check and see tomorrow.

-
Back