Scored On An Air Compressor!

-
Took the tank to my place of employment this morning and blasted it. Got it primed and painted just using good ol Rustoleum gloss black.
Switching out all the steel pipe fittings with brass as well. Also, changing up the drain configuration and doing away with the petcock.
The other parts are supposed to show up Monday.

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

Well got er all together with the new parts. Holds air without a leak so far by just turning the pump by hand(before I put the guard on. The pump was so grimy and oily but got it cleaned up and put some synthetic oil in it.

IMG_3057.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

One thing to check and you may have already. Where the large copper tube goes into the tank, that fitting is a check valve. If you have not, pull it out and check that the disc is intact and there is not any dirt ect that will keep it from sealing. If it doesn't seal what you will notice is that after the tank pumps full it will keep pressure on the pump head and it will not want to restart until almost all the pressure is bled out of the tank. You would also notice that after it initially shuts off the air continues to bleed off more than the first couple of seconds.

One thing to check and you may have already. Where the large copper tube goes into the tank, that fitting is a check valve. If you have not, pull it out and check that the disc is intact and there is not any dirt ect that will keep it from sealing. If it doesn't seal what you will notice is that after the tank pumps full it will keep pressure on the pump head and it will not want to restart until almost all the pressure is bled out of the tank. You would also notice that after it initially shuts off the air continues to bleed off more than the first couple of seconds.

I did clean and check that valve. I would blow through it then suck and couldn't get any air to suck through it.

Thanks!

Now I need to figure out what I need to wire the thing. I know I need to use 10/2 or 10/3 wire. I want to wire in a safety switch between the compressor and the main but don't know which one to use as everyone I see on homedepot or lowes is only rated to 3hp. Also, I read that it's recommended to use a time delay fuse as well. Would appreciate any recommendations!!

Got the thing all wired in and runs great. However I am going to have to put a new one way check valve in now. It leaks back through the head and out the regulator line and if you tap the valve with a hammer it closes but still leaks a small amount of air.

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

nice resto , now put that thing to work , or are you going to christening it maiden voyage first , lol .

-
Back