Scottsdale Arizona

-

eric22

Reaction score
Looking to relocate to scottsdale az from NY better job opportunities there except I dont know anything about the place any info would be greatly appreciated

You'll love the winters here.....lol

Real estate is a bargain at this point.........

You can drive your classic car 12 months a year if it has A/C :happy10:

Don't know too much about current job opportunities. What field are you in?

I currently work for the city here the only stable job there is as of late
How is the quality of life, schools, and how much does gas cost over there

Don't be in a hurry to buy a home would be my suggestion. Wait until foreclosures in numbers peak and wait at least another 18 months. Lots of dookie to be flushed from the system. Lots of good deal renting too.

You better like HOT in the summer time...

Nice place, lots of car stuff to do with plenty of tracks close.

Hmmmm, City job is usually very stable with great bennies....Any chance of a city to city transfer or referral within your field or specialty. Maybe talk to someone in HR @ your location.

I saw gas today @ $3.67 a gallon. A welcome relief from the $4+ that all of us have been paying throughout the country.

Quality of life is a state of mind but..........I think it's super and have spent many years in Chicago, so I remember the weather and the WINTERS. Not interested in shoveling anything but sunshine anymore. :sunny:

On second thought stay home.........we're getting crowded. JUST KIDDING

Good luck on your quest and IMHO you're making a wise choice. And you don't just have to look at Scottsdale. You can search several cities within a few miles of Scottsdale & each other....Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Surprise, Goodyear, etc.

Don't be in a hurry to buy a home would be my suggestion. Wait until foreclosures in numbers peak and wait at least another 18 months. Lots of dookie to be flushed from the system. Lots of good deal renting too.

Well said.........rent awhile and get familiar with the Phoenix metro area. Don't think we've hit bottom yet with the real estate market.

Car stuff abounds with 2 race tracks within 20 miles or so from the center of Phoenix. Local car show every Saturday night year round at a place called the Pavillions in Scottsdale.

You guys forgot to mention 2 of the most important things...........

NO SALTED ROADS and LOWER TAXES!!

Been here in Phoenix since 80's and speaking as a former central new yorker I can say....you WILL love the winters! Like to wear shorts? perfect, you can wear them nearly year round! I only wear long pants when requested by spouse :mrgreen:
The summers can be nasty if your not careful. Be sure to drink excessive amounts of water! We had over 30 days of 110* or higher last summer. It was a record, normal is closer to 20 days. Not a lot of humidity as we only get 6"-7" of rain annually. Right now we are in the middle of Monsoon (July-August-ish) so some afternoon/evening storms pop-up.
Speedworld dragstrip is out NW in Surprise area, its an old facility and lots of clubs use it.
Firebird dragstrip is on the south end of the valley, near Chandler. National events as well as local stuff.
October thru May are "peak" car related event times but there are some that run year round.
You wont see a lot of rusty cars here, but you will see what the intense heat does to interiors and plastic in general!
Come on down :cheers:

As a fellow NYer (Queens), you'll love it here. Good weather, quite a few cruising spots & shows throughout the State almost non-stop. If you race you can run year 'round. I live on about 1 1/2 acres & property taxes are about 1,800/yr.
Downside? HEAT! Interiors disintegrate like you wouldn't believe, no real streetracing (if you're into that:ncool: ) few speed shops & if it's not Brand X you're screwed.
BUUUT the weather is great, roads are good & open (compared to NY), most cops are cool and you'll find lots of fellow gearheads that are more than willing to simply help out as opposed to charge for every little thing.
If you've never been here, consider coming in late Spring/ early Summer so you can see what kind of heat you'll experience. Winters in the Valley are generally 70s in the daytime, 40s at night so that's no shock. It's the Summer that gets everyone so you may want examine that closely. My sister won't even come here then:cheers:

Hi There!
Im new in this site!
Im Jimboy!...

It was a record, normal is closer to 20 days. Not a lot of humidity as we only get 6"-7" of rain annually. Right now we are in the middle of Monsoon (July-August-ish) so some afternoon/evening storms pop-up.
Speedworld dragstrip is out NW in Surprise area, its an old facility and lots of clubs use it.

Thanks! Good Luck!....

Hi There!
Im new in this site!
Im Jimboy!...
Welcome to FABO Jimboy.......Interesting thread you found...:scratch:

Good call there crackedback.....only missed it by 8 or 9 months....or did you? 8)

I wish I wouldve been 10 years younger Im not old by far(35) but when there is a wife and kids involved moves arent as easy. As far as my city job here its pretty secure 20 and out and we just got a raise I'll be hitting my fifth year on the job come jan

Hard to leave those city jobs. I can't blame you for wanting out of NY.
Last one out of NY shut off the lights.

Hard to leave those city jobs. I can't blame you for wanting out of NY.
Last one out of NY shut off the lights.

I have the name of a realtor that can e-mail you samples of the properties available. If you wnat her e-mail address PM me. I am going down next month to Russo Steel auction and I'll be looking at some of the property.

Are you Kidding! automotive paradise.........I'll think about you when I'm shovelling f%$%$# snow.

I wish I wouldve been 10 years younger Im not old by far(35) but when there is a wife and kids involved moves arent as easy. As far as my city job here its pretty secure 20 and out and we just got a raise I'll be hitting my fifth year on the job come jan

If I were you I would do the 20 then move here.

-
Back