Screaming Scamp

-

383Scamp

Reaction score
Just got car back from 1 1/2 yr restoration. Bought 74 scamp in 08/2011 with a cowl hood. Was a 20 ft car. Had 383. Ran it very little had issues. A Mopar good friend Ron Neis (383man moparts.com), took me up to his brother. Gary Neis drag races in 422 club. He has been racing since 70's and builds all Mopar engines. He showed me his 71 Duster his friend did body work. It was gorgeous. I saw his work on a 71 Chevelle SS. Cobalt blue with white stripes. It to was awesome. So I gave my car to John Blevins. The things that we found. Well now it is all new metal. Painted emerald green with pearl, black 6pack hood. Decided to refresh engine. Gary found mismatched piston, block was cracked. I have no idea how this car ever ran. Engine bored 30 completely rebuilt Keith Black Pistons, Comp Cam 10.5 compression, RPM Performer Intake, 440 Source Stealth Heads, Holley Red Pump, TTI headers and exhaust with Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers, heavy duty springs and shocks, MSD, and a 5 speed pistol grip shifter. Currently it has a 650 vacuum pump carb. The car is a head turner. When I stomp on it got rubber in 3 gears. Very shortly have to wrap it up for winter. Save money over winter for additional modification -750 carb, front bushings new front rubber. Need to replace window regulator and pole on drivers side. Pictures to come.

Welcome to Fabo! Sounds like a great car. No doubt more carb will add to that combo :thumbrig:. Can't wait for the pics.....from another Md. native. :)

Welcome to the site "383Scamp" ! Can't wait to see the pictures !

Putting in the 383 will be a challenge. Does your car have power steering? With putting in headers the clearance is nill. I had to take out my power steering unit. I had to use Flaming River manual. The Idler arm, Center Drag Link, and Pitman arm will have to be changed. Because the Scamp wasn't built for a 383. I used a Sidewinder fan because of lack of clearance between radiator and block. Putting headers in we had to take apart the center drag link. After we had initially installed it. If using TTI headers and their exhaust systems. Start from the back installing the exhaust system.

What oil pan did you end up using? It has to have steering clearance correct? The stock pan #187 & #699 sticks in my head for some reason.....

One of those, maybe the #699, had baffles on some applications?

Putting in the 383 will be a challenge. Does your car have power steering? With putting in headers the clearance is nill. I had to take out my power steering unit. I had to use Flaming River manual. The Idler arm, Center Drag Link, and Pitman arm will have to be changed. Because the Scamp wasn't built for a 383. I used a Sidewinder fan because of lack of clearance between radiator and block. Putting headers in we had to take apart the center drag link. After we had initially installed it. If using TTI headers and their exhaust systems. Start from the back installing the exhaust system.

Yep, power steering here. Using the schumacher motor mounts, 699 oil pan, and 68-70 factory hipo exhaust manuals. No headers for me. Actually, with what parts I plan on using, I will have plenty of room - more than an RB 440....

I have a hemi oil pan. Yes there was a clearance problem. We used a thick piece of steel that was in the shape of a U. Placed it against the pan, I held it an my buddy using a hammer hit it. We slowly hit the corner into shape, so as to be able to make good right turns. Glad you are doing what you are doing. Since mine initially a 383. I stuck with that. It tell you that this car fought us every which way. The original owner set the car up for racing in Fl. It must have been done in a remedial car shop. The second owner. Documented everything, but it looked like Ray Charles did the electric. Do I have any second thoughts. No! The expense was worth it, plus I have a very understanding wife, which made it easier to deal with setbacks. Will be taking pictures today great weather.

-
Back