Screeching fan belt, noise in the morning, and after the car sits for a while.

-

PG Duster

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Plymouth duster with a 360 magnum swap from a 2001 Durango. My question is does anybody have any information on deleting the A/C and power steering and only using the serpentine belt to drive the water pump, alternator. I need to know the belt and or tensioner I need to solve my problem. I will include pictures of what my set up is, any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2078.png

IMG_2069.png

IMG_2072.png

IMG_2076.png

IMG_2074.png

IMG_2077.png

IMG_2070.png

Last edited:
Double check pulley alignment and tensioner if you are using one.

If that's an OReilly MasterBlow belt, that's a good place to start.

If that's an OReilly MasterBlow belt, that's a good place to start.
I’ve change the belt tensioner and put three different belts on it. And I still get the same results, noise. The last on was a Gates belt.

Last edited:
What’s happening is the battery is drawing down over a long sit and when you start it up the alternator goes full field to bring it (the battery) back up. Check for an electrical draw. Or as said above have the battery checked out.

As far as deleting the A/C and the PS pump, this is what I did. Trimmed the tensioner base down, welded it to some 3/16 by 1" flatbar, bolted it to empty holes on the head. That's an A/C bracket, I just sawed off the A/C part.

20191201_141927.jpg

What’s happening is the battery is drawing down over a long sit and when you start it up the alternator goes full field to bring it (the battery) back up. Check for an electrical draw. Or as said above have the battery checked out.
I will load test the battery and check the belt alignment.

I bought the car and it has this alternator bracket setup, I don’t think it’s off of 2001 dodge Dakota or Durango.

IMG_0278.png

IMG_0277.png

IMG_2076.png

That just might be spot on!

I bought the car and it has this alternator bracket setup, I don’t think it’s off of 2001 dodge Dakota or Durango.

View attachment 1716170377

View attachment 1716170378

View attachment 1716170379

Definitely looks DIY to me. And it doesn't look like the end of the bottom bolt, at the head of the bolt, is supported. If so, I wonder if the mount is flexing and causing some misalignment or loss of belt tension resulting in the squeal.

At the very least, I would dump that and find either a non-AC bracket or cut down an AC one. Note that an AC one won't work with the truck PS mount if there is no pulley at the AC location. Not sure if you currently have PS or not, just don't want you to get fooled if you do and don't end up deleting it.

I don’t have power steering, I have a manual steering box. So I need to find a bracket from a non-a/c and power steering truck? You’re right, that bottom bolt is not supported, I will have to make a bracket.

Last edited:
I don’t have power steering, I have a manual steering box. So I need to find a bracket from a non-a/c and power steering truck? You’re right, that bottom bolt is not supported, I will have to make a bracket.

Just didn’t want to assume.

I have seen one setup once with no AC and no PS. They came off the alt wrapped the water pump on the back side of the belt and down to the crank pulley then back up to the tensioner. Looked like it had about a 1/4 or less of the water pump pulley making contact, almost no belt wrap. Is that how yours is done right now? If so, that might be the other source of your squeal. Not enough belt wrap on the water pump.

I would go with the solution fshd4it posted and build a tensioner setup off the DS cylinder head and cut down the AC bracket. Best setup I have seen so far.

The AC bracket is dime a dozen, the non-AC ones are tough to find and people want more for them. I sold 2 last summer for $50 each, and I think that was on the cheap side.

Last edited:
I’m not sure, but is the what you’re talking about. This is better pictures of what I have.

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

Last edited:
The uneven wear pattern on the water pump pulley should be a good indication that something isn't right, the pulley should be shiny all the way around.

That's exactly what I was referring to in regards to belt routing.

I think that is the source of your noise. Not enough belt wrap on the water pump pulley.

DNasty777, I like how you set yours up. Looks better tucked in a bit, mine's kinda hanging out too far. I swiped the idea from Evan/MagnumMopar (back when he was still on here), he posted up one he fabbed to see if there was any interest in making a kit.

DNasty777, I like how you set yours up. Looks better tucked in a bit, mine's kinda hanging out too far. I swiped the idea from Evan/MagnumMopar (back when he was still on here), he posted up one he fabbed to see if there was any interest in making a kit.

Thanks, that’s exactly where I “borrowed” the idea from as well. The only downside to using the two bosses that I used is that it puts the tensioner right in the way of the heater core outlet on the magnum water pump. I’m not using it so I just tapped that hole and put a plug in it.

Thanks you guys, I have great pictures on how this needs to be done. Dnasty777 can you send me pictures of you tensioner bracket that you made?

Thanks you guys, I have great pictures on how this needs to be done. Dnasty777 can you send me pictures of you tensioner bracket that you made?

I'm about to make a revision to the bracket and have a few more cut. If you and @fshd4it would like I can sell you guys one for cost which would be about $15 including shipping.

I got my revised brackets in today, offer still stands to send you guys one. If you want to make one or have one made locally I can send some files but I only ask that you don't pass them on. The bracket I designed works with the 7-rib March crank and alternator pullies, a Gates Tensioner (p/n 38116), and a 7-rib 68.5" belt.

You bet, I'm in for one. This motor is going into the wife's car (if I ever finish it), so it's probably going to have to have a heater. Hell, She may even want PS in it, rendering the whole concept moot. But I want to see how you skinned that cat. I'll PM you my info. Thanks!

-
Back