screw length ?

-

fanofpetty

Reaction score
How long of a screw should be used to screw slicks to centerline rims? I'm guessing maybe 1/2 or 5/8. Figured I'd ask somebody who has done this.

Depends on the thickness of the rim and tire beads.I used 3/8 myself.If you go too long your taking a chance of air leakage from going too deep into the tire bead.I did 8 on each side of my rims.Good Luck.

Are your rims centerlines? Just curious? I was going to use 8 also, on each side. Thanks for the info. Pettybludart

As noted - they don't go through the tire. They only go into it. 3/8 is fine.

Yes I have tube in my slicks, ( centerlines are notorious for air leaks), anyway thanks for the help guys!

Yes I have tube in my slicks, ( centerlines are notorious for air leaks), anyway thanks for the help guys!

i always used 3/4" on mine,by the time you go thru 1/8" of wheel, 3/8 ain`t goin to do much if your hooked up w/ some h.p.:argue:

well obviously I don't want them all the way through the beads, but far enough in to bite into the rubber bead good....I'm thinkin 3/8 or 1/2 would be fine.

i have centerlines with a 29.5 x11.5 x15 slick and tubes with 3/8 screws ,they just barly bite into the bead of the tire

oh one more question...do I need to use tubes with a metal valve stem, or are rubber stems tubes ok, for NHRA tech inspection? I'm guessing my car is a low twelves car, so I don't know the rules for cars running in this catagory. ( bracket racing)

I know racing is addictive.....I raced a little many years ago, on occasion, but never used slicks. ( just a street car) would you happen to know a tube size for a 28X 10.50 slick ? Thanks again " Pettybludart"

You don't "need" tubes if you don't want them. I have run my car with and without tubes, works fine both ways....and yes, I had rim screws with both. I always put a small dab of clear silicon on the screws before installation, then wipe off the excess. No real problems with leakage, one of my tires looses about 1 pound of air every 2-3 weeks...the other tire take about 2 months to loose 1 pound of air.

If you want tubes here you go....but they aren't cheap (65 bucks each):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-9553

Ya I'll need to stick with tubes as the used rims I picked up, had the valve stem hole enlarged some. Thanks for the link " flyfish"

-
Back