Screwdrivers

-
In this case it's good my computer is watching what I post. Look what showed up on my Facebook feed late yesterday. I have heard of the JIS but didn't know what it stood for. Learn something new every day.

screws.jpg

screws2.jpg

screws3.jpg

I bought some Craftsman and I like them. Hardened tips that fit, comfortable handles, what more do you want?

There is also the Reed and Prince style which is similar to a Phillips but made for tighter tolerances. After 40 years of industrial maintenance my top picks for screwdrivers would be Klien, Greenlee, and some of the sets Milwaukee has put out. The Klein and Greenlee parallel tips are sweet as they don't have the wedge- shaped head when you really need to get into a tight place. You may have to pay up a bit but they will perform and last a lifetime.

You forgot the Reed-Prince (Frearson drive)- that red headed stepchild in screwdriver sets that has ruined more Phillips screws than anybody can count...
View attachment 1716180779
Yep those are odd. In almost 3 decades of being in the business, I have never ran into a Reed-Prince screw. The more deluxe bit driver sets had the driver bits though.

Yep those are odd. In almost 3 decades of being in the business, I have never ran into a Reed-Prince screw. The more deluxe bit driver sets had the driver bits though.
The 40 years must have affected my eyesight as well Mike, I didn't even see professor fate's posting about the Reed and Prince...LOL. I stumbled onto one of their fastener's on an old BLH 2,000 ton aluminum extrusion press back in the 80's. I had to look it up in a fastener catalog to find out what the heck it was. Now you can type it into the internet and zing there it is.

In this case it's good my computer is watching what I post. Look what showed up on my Facebook feed late yesterday. I have heard of the JIS but didn't know what it stood for. Learn something new every day.

View attachment 1716180751

View attachment 1716180752

View attachment 1716180753
another brand that I've been wanting to try is VESSEL. Screwdrivers they're japanese and when I tested some of them out at sema I was suprised. they will definitely be my next set when I get more screwdriver drawer space.

also Mayhew probably has the best mini screwdriver and pick set available. ( the one i have is coming out february this year; pictured in my previous post)

I've got a set of DeWalt screwdrivers that are pretty good quality- no idea of the country of origin, though. Also have a few Milwaukee-branded screwdrivers that have held up really well.
I think I have some DeWalt screwdrivers in the tool bag in my truck, and if so- they're all yours! Seriously, I can't stand 'em (but I forget the reason why right now), and if I'm correct on the brand (I'll check this weekend sometime), I'll shoot you a PM for your address, as you're only "across the river" somewhere.

I didn't see it mentioned, but Williams is the Snap-On without the expensive branding label. I love Snap-On ratcheting multibit-driver and have the Williams version too. The difference is the handle color and lack of a knurl on the driver body.
I agree with the prior post about Tekton and the older Stanley's, I like those too.

I think I have some DeWalt screwdrivers in the tool bag in my truck, and if so- they're all yours! Seriously, I can't stand 'em (but I forget the reason why right now), and if I'm correct on the brand (I'll check this weekend sometime), I'll shoot you a PM for your address, as you're only "across the river" somewhere.
Thanks for the offer! But I'm pretty well stocked right now. I had just mentioned them because they seem to be pretty good quality at a not too bad price for the OP. They're not in my main box, but I keep them in my "travelling" box that I throw in the trunk when I go on road trips.

Thanks for the offer! But I'm pretty well stocked right now. I had just mentioned them because they seem to be pretty good quality at a not too bad price for the OP. They're not in my main box, but I keep them in my "travelling" box that I throw in the trunk when I go on road trips.
(LOL!)

That's exactly where these are, in the "emergency tools" bag underneath the back seat of my truck.

Alright, I'll leave 'em alone!

I havent gotten them yet, but i have a set of screwdrivers on my christmas list

What sold me on them was that they are listed as screwdriver/prybars

I have US made Craftsman screwdrivers that are several decades old, and the bright finish has turned to gray powder. Garaged, but not climate-controlled. Their wrenches and sockets of the same vintage still look brand new.

It i NOT how hard the screwdriver is...it is how soft the China screw head is!!!! Then the screwdriver will always last!!! :thumbsup:

I bought my first set of Craftsman tools back in the 70's. Whenever I need something I look for the vintage stuff now. If I recall the entire Craftsman line lost quality in the 90's.

Don't laugh, but my "go to" #2 phillips is a orange and clear handled Stanley that I found on the side of a road. Nickel plated alloy that fits phillips heads better than any others that I've tried.

Don't laugh, but my "go to" #2 phillips is a orange and clear handled Stanley that I found on the side of a road. Nickel plated alloy that fits phillips heads better than any others that I've tried.
Never a truer statement. The best things in life are free. I heard that some place before..

I purchased a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) Vessel phillips screwdrivers for working on our '76 Toyota FJ40. After years of using and fighting with regular phillips screw drivers on the JIS screws. Amazing the fit and working of the proper JIS drivers on the factory screws. The regular phillips screwdrivers I believe are made to "cam" out of the screw before destroying the screw.

Carlyle from Nappa $45 on sale
5 years so far, the only issue is the size and type of driver print wears off of the plastic end on the handle.
I've used them as punches and pickle forks changing ball joints with no dammage. I've used a few as pry bars removing heads,unmating bellhousings, and didn't break or chip.

Last edited:
I am looking for a good set of screwdrivers that is available with having to do the Snap On/ Mac tools price. The days of Craftsman screwdrivers being made in America is gone
which are made across the pond now days. Screwdrivers and other American made tools are getting harder to find in garage sales etc... that used to belong to the old Craftsman of the day.
If anyone has recently purchased a decent set lately lease advise. Good things are not cheap and cheap things are not good.... I get it.... Thanks Gary
Even much of SnapOn and Mac products are manufactured in China. Companies that are reliable and have products made in China perform QA/QC tests regularly to verify the quality.
Rosemount manufactures industrial transmitters for different plants. Temperature, pressure, flow, density and a bunch of others. These are required to meet stringent build, reliability and accuracy quality standards. So they do regular inspections. Once in use, instrument mechanics calibrate them fairly regularly to ensure accuracy.

These are my favorites

Screwdrivers

And a Christmas sale going on too.
Totally agree here - German made Wiha screwdrivers are the best I have ever used in 40+ years of being an Electrician. Use the right driver for the task at hand and they last a lifetime.
Remember that screwdrivers are for doing up and undoing screws...they are not levers, pry-bars or chisels. Treat the screwdrivers with respect and they will last. Maltreat them and your warranty is out the window.

I am very brand focussed when it comes to the tools I use - Wiha for screwdrivers, Makita for power tools and Starrett for hole saws. Quality tools will get the job done right. I probably have more of all those three than my local Electrical supply shop has in stock right now. :lol: And they carry a lot on the shelves.

1703362058765.jpeg

Just a few packs in my stash.

1703362058765.jpeg

20231224_090256.jpg

20231224_090236.jpg

20231224_090139.jpg

20231224_090124.jpg

20231224_090036.jpg

I like some of this guys reviews. He puts tools thru a number of tests , from cheap HF up to the big names. Big money doesn't always win. In this screwdriver test, he even shows how durable they are when they are used for the wrong purpose. Not that I would ever do that.:rolleyes:

I got a Wera set on sale, based on good reviews and pricepoint and handle comfort - looks like his tests indicated I did ok on that purchase. ;-)

I’ve been out of the “business” and haven’t purchased a screwdriver for over 25 years. As you can see in the picture, I wasn’t brand loyal. I have MAC, Matco, and Snap-On. Bottom line is for me, it doesn’t matter which one I grab they’re all quality. All that being said, where I work now we use HF and Craftsman tools and they are more than adequate. Some of the Craftsman stuff was there before I stared there 25 years ago.

IMG_9116.jpeg

I have tried them all for the most part having spent 33 years in the as an auto mechanic both independent and dealership plus another 10 building industrial jet engines and turbines and my screwdriver of choice are the “Witte” brand. Most of my sets were MATCO branded screwdrivers bought around 2000 and still function 100%.

One of my coworkers said it best using one of the No. 2 Philip head screwdriver and he said “They instill confidence” because of how well they work.

Cliff Ramsdell
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

-
Back