Seasonings???

Meat seasoning

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Which do you prefer and why....dry rub or a marinade?

Ernie always takes care of preparing the meat for me to cook on the Big Green Egg. She is not here right now so I had to take care of it...which got me wondering...

Well now, that depends!! I'm almost always a dry rub guy, but when I do the prime rib at Christmas, I rub it with Worcestershire first, then rub in a mixture of cracked pepper, kosher salt and fresh garlic and let it sit all morning!! Still, I voted dry rub!! Geof

Done both. (dry rub & marinade.) Personal preferred, Suzie Q and Teriaki. (Soak an hour, or so.). Ink Junkie,are you looking for something different? (and what are you used to?)...

Just got done making potatoes and t-bones on the grill.
Stick the **** out of the potatoes with a large fork, cover the outside with olive oil, and sprinkle salt on them. Wrap in tin foil cook at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Beat the steak with a meat cleaver.
Rub on both side with your favorite seasoning.
Sear at 450 degrees for about 3 minutes and flip to the other side.
Cover the potatoes and steak with your favorite topping and enjoy.

I like velveta cheese and sour cream with bacon bits on the potatoes and sauteed mushrooms and onions on my steak.

Just got done making potatoes and t-bones on the grill.
Stick the **** out of the potatoes with a large fork, cover the outside with olive oil, and sprinkle salt on them. Wrap in tin foil cook at 350 for 1.5 hours.

Beat the steak with a meat cleaver.
Rub on both side with your favorite seasoning.
Sear at 450 degrees for about 3 minutes and flip to the other side.
Cover the potatoes and steak with your favorite topping and enjoy.

I like velveta cheese and sour cream with bacon bits on the potatoes and sauteed mushrooms and onions on my steak.

No don't beat your meat..... Definitely not with a cleaver:)

Just let it sit at room temp for a least an hour before grilling.. Love Konriko creole on my steaks and burgers !!

It all depends what I'm cooking as to what I use. Rubs on some stuff, marinade on others.

Sometimes I use a rub on the outside and inject the meat with some sort of flavoring. birds usually get the inner and outer treatment.

So did you make dinner yet???????????

I love a good rub on ribs, chops, etc.

Sadly in our price range, the meat is so sad that the marinade at least makes it tolerable :D.

Done both. (dry rub & marinade.) Personal preferred, Suzie Q and Teriaki. (Soak an hour, or so.). Ink Junkie,are you looking for something different? (and what are you used to?)...

Something different, some suggestions. Often times Ernie is not real receptive to changes in this sort of thing.

Not looking for the just pour it in a bottle of colored sugar (aka store bought BBQ sauce) but alternatives. Ernie is a big fan of those Grill Mates pouches from McCormick http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Recipes
and while some of them are pretty flavorful just looking for sumtin different. On a trip to AZ I had dinner with a buddy. He raved about how good his cooking was. He made a briscuit on the grill that was basicly slathered in doctored up store bought BBQ sauce. Only thing I really tasted was the sweetness of the BBQ sauce. Not a big pork eater. Occasionally will do a "Violated Chicken", the beer up the butt kind.

Years ago a friend used to pay me to drive to see him. He was about 90 miles away. He wanted me to make him burgers. Took 2 full size plates to get all the spices I used out to the grill. Wish I could remember what all I used back then....So if you have any suggestions please do fire away.....

Ever try Tony Chachere's? It's some good coonass stuff from down in Louisiana where I'm from.

for steak, it is usually worcestershire and montreal steak seasoning.... chicken, get some lemon pepper and a little hot pepper powder to mix together... I also like country style pork ribs slow cooked and then basted with honey Mustard... (Plockman's stone ground mustard and honey, mixed 1/2 n 1/2 and then add some hot pepper powder)
I cook with Lazari mesquite lump charcoal (no normal briquettes) and get lots of compliments on the taste. Did a brisket last month, slow cooked and smoked about 8 hours... last 3 were in a foil pan with BBQ sauce (sorry, store bought and sweet).

Ever try Tony Chachere's? It's some good coonass stuff from down in Louisiana where I'm from.
Which product are you talking about? Lots of stuff listed here....http://www.tonychachere.com/.....Best BBQ sauce I ever had I got form my short visit in Tennessee....used to mail it order by the gallon jug for my dad, he loved it as well. http://www.calhouns.com/merchandise.html....cant help but wonder if it has changed. Was not your typical sugared up BBQ sauce.

for steak, it is usually worcestershire and montreal steak seasoning.... chicken, get some lemon pepper and a little hot pepper powder to mix together... I also like country style pork ribs slow cooked and then basted with honey Mustard... (Plockman's stone ground mustard and honey, mixed 1/2 n 1/2 and then add some hot pepper powder)
I cook with Lazari mesquite lump charcoal (no normal briquettes) and get lots of compliments on the taste. Did a brisket last month, slow cooked and smoked about 8 hours... last 3 were in a foil pan with BBQ sauce (sorry, store bought and sweet).
Where do you get your lump charcoal from? I have been using the Royal Oak from Wally World. Have a bag of wood chunks that I use every now & then, believe they are just hickory. I once made the mistake of just loading the Green Egg up with all Mesquite lumps charcoal. Way way to much mesquite flavor. I have cooked for a few people on the Egg, they all went out and bought one. Since we have been here, October of 08, we have never even fired up the propane grill. Cook on the wood charcoal daily, my neighbors must think we do not have a stove inside. Pizza, wings, damn near everything. I wish I had the patience to learn more about cooking on the Egg...and with using the different species of wood for seasoning.

A while back Ernie saved some of the dried peppers that she uses when she makes tamales. She threw them in her Blentec blender and ground them into a coarse powder, seeds and all. Was one of the best dry rugs we ever had.....she used about a 50-50 mix of hot & mild if I remember right. Had just the right amount of kick, as long as it was not sprinkled on too heavy. We used it for a dry rub til it was gone....hmmm......need to talk to her about this.

Which product are you talking about? Lots of stuff listed here....http://www.tonychachere.com/.....Best BBQ sauce I ever had I got form my short visit in Tennessee....used to mail it order by the gallon jug for my dad, he loved it as well. http://www.calhouns.com/merchandise.html....cant help but wonder if it has changed. Was not your typical sugared up BBQ sauce.

Where do you get your lump charcoal from? I have been using the Royal Oak from Wally World. Have a bag of wood chunks that I use every now & then, believe they are just hickory. I once made the mistake of just loading the Green Egg up with all Mesquite lumps charcoal. Way way to much mesquite flavor. I have cooked for a few people on the Egg, they all went out and bought one. Since we have been here, October of 08, we have never even fired up the propane grill. Cook on the wood charcoal daily, my neighbors must think we do not have a stove inside. Pizza, wings, damn near everything. I wish I had the patience to learn more about cooking on the Egg...and with using the different species of wood for seasoning.
We mostly use the More Spice from Tony's. We grill a lot also, usually throw a few chunks of wild cherry wood on the charcoal to add a sweet smoke flavor.

Well now, that depends!! I'm almost always a dry rub guy, but when I do the prime rib at Christmas, I rub it with Worcestershire first, then rub in a mixture of cracked pepper, kosher salt and fresh garlic and let it sit all morning!! Still, I voted dry rub!! Geof

Cosgig, can I come for Christmas dinner? :)

My mom can make anything taste good with Mrs. Dash, but then, my mom can make anything taste good. My wife agrees, but probably doesn't like it when "I" say it. :)

have you tried sea salt? not the powdered stuff.
Room tempetured meat on the grill, sea salt them as you turn them over, remove the salt rocks when meat is cooked,had pepper.
...**** now I'm hungry

I get the Lazari mesquite charcoal at united grocers cash-n-carry, it is right about 14$ for a 40lb bag. (https://www.smartfoodservice.com/)
I think there is one or two in your neck of the woods.
There is one in Spokane....thanks....

have you tried sea salt? not the powdered stuff.
Room tempetured meat on the grill, sea salt them as you turn them over, remove the salt rocks when meat is cooked,had pepper.
...**** now I'm hungry
Never tried it this way, I will try this next time I grill a steak....Thanks Mike

-
Back