Seat Belt Cert Questions

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I have a set of RJS belts. 5 point.
They "expired" 12/2023.
They were 6 months in when I got them from Summit.

Questions:
Send them to RJS and get them tested and new tags?
Buy new ones?
How do I make sure I get the most time if I buy new ones?

I am all about safety, but this sounds like a racket.
Mine are perfect.

It is indeed a racket, especially with sanctioned tracks. If you still have the receipt, I think I'd be ringing Summit's bell if they were 6 months old when you received them.

Since it is the off season, you could check on getting them
recertified, but usually the shipping and cost to recert are more than new ones. I would check with RJS and see what the lead time to recert would be also.

I have to re-cert my belts this year, just took them out. It's usually around $80 to do so. I have done it in the past and it wasn't much cheaper then new one's. The nice thing is you won't get 6 month old certs. They replace all the belts so they are basically new. Usually a friend and I send them in at the same time, this year there will be 3 of us sending them in. We just split the shipping.

2 years ago, didn't notice till I was getting close.
Fwiw, I've seen people with harnesses that expired 2 years ago racing and testing at the track that we both frequent. Also I've never seen them check harness or helmet dates, not even at team finals.

Thanks for the reminder, just another thing I need to buy for my car.

My home track checks belts and hat every time. You basically get one freebie week, then they won't let you race. They NEVER check dates on any other safety stuff that has an expiration date, or even if it's there. They might have to bend over.
I learned a long time ago to buy the absolute cheapest belts I can find. (I actually have some cam-lock belts I might get re-certed.) Otherwise, cheapo latch/link. As said above, shipping both ways, wait for the cert and return, and the fee, is always more than new belts.
I actually had a set once, that the date punch out was a hanging chad. I taped the Chad in place from behind, punched new dates 2 1/2 years out, tech never caught it, got five years out of that set.
And yes, it's a despicable RACKET to screw the racer, and keep the safety companies in business.
(And I also learned years ago to check the dates on new belts. And since I order by phone, I tell the order-taker to make sure they're fresh, or they're getting sent back at your expense).

Thanks for the reminder, just another thing I need to buy for my car.
Obviously, wait until the last minute, or until the car is Track ready. I've made that mistake too (among MANY, LOL). I have a set of brand new belts, never been out of the box, expired. I'd have been better off, and had more fun, sticking the eighty bucks in a slot machine.

Obviously, wait until the last minute, or until the car is Track ready. I've made that mistake too (among MANY, LOL). I have a set of brand new belts, never been out of the box, expired. I'd have been better off, and had more fun, sticking the eighty bucks in a slot machine.
Yes sir, yeah I'm going to do what you suggested also call the company and ask for their freshest belts....and ask the dates

Guilty as charged and not once but twice. I removed the seat in my heads up car probably five years ago to install a new set. I think I ended up putting one of the two sets in my black duster to at least get some use of them. I paid 67.00 for RJS belts for years and could sell my expired sets on Craigslist for 20-25.00. Now I pay a lot more and offer them to friends for their street projects as I no longer visit Craigslist. When I wrecked in 2010 they cut my helmet strap and asked if they could climb in my trailer to check my 7.50 cert roll cage. I said yes and they ended up not pulling my cage cert. I don’t think they cut my seat belts

For the cheaper belts its usually just as cheap to buy new belts. If you have the fancier expensive belts it may be cheaper to have them recert. Usually when I get belts from Jegs or Summit they are 1-2 months dated in advance. Being yours was 6 months old, they must be old stock that wasn't rotated properly. Too bad you just noticed that as I'm sure Summit would've taken care of that issue.

There’s one company that will recertify at least once for free but it’s a hassle to ship things where I live.

Do you guys with street cars replace the passenger side as well??? Technically, the driver's side is the only one required to be in spec - right?

Pro shop price for the belts I’ve been using are up to 109.00 now.

IMG_1245.jpeg

Pro shop price for the belts I’ve been using are up to 109.00 now.

View attachment 1716191418
Just ordered these 2 days ago but without the V-type shoulder part (I use the individual shoulder belts). Mine expired in June last year and was basically given a pass to keep running but now moved to FL and figured strange new car at a new track and that freebie won't be honored!! We'll see the date on them when they arrive on Mon/Tue. This last set was dated 1 month in advance when I got them.

Last edited:
The exact belts I have. I will use them until someone actually looks at them and tells me There are expired.

I don’t have that luxury because I travel a lot to big money races at several different tracks. You are expected to have a track legal
Car and when you sign that track release it states you do. For 100.00 which I claim on my taxes anyway my seatbelts will be legal. If I was a test n tuner my car would still have legal belts.

-
Back