Seat Belt Retractor Adjustment

-
They really aren't supposed to be serviceable. I have removed them and cleaned evey little spec of lint, etc.., out of them and they worked fine again.
Good luck with it.

I agree with Red. If you can get the covers off of them, use air and blow them out then use a wd40 or something equivalent with the straw on it and spray the moving pieces. Should work like new again.

Compressed air is a good start but don't be surprised if you need tiny tweezers and dental pics to get wound hair out of it. They can collect hair and stuff like a carpet sweeper.
There are a few spots where a small amount of grease was applied during assembly.
If you did use a product like brake cleaner that removes the grease, that is all you would want to reapply. WD-40, 3 in 1, wide spread might be fine or might cause it to collect more stuff faster.

My front seat belts in my 1974 swinger always locked coming out, I pulled the covers off and manually disengaged the locking mechanism permanently. WALA they are working fine now.

Another member asked me to remove his comment quote here so I obliged. My cautionary statements stand.

If you defeat the retractors safety,
you may as well just cut the belt with scissors and toss it out the window.

If you defeat the retractors safety,
you may as well just cut the belt with scissors and toss it out the window.

yeah, I figured someone would say that.... :banghead: That is very true, but seeing as lap belts where stock in these car up until 72 and seatbelts not standard equipment until after 1958.... anyways I usually run no seat belts but If and when I don't wana get a seat belt ticket they work much better going on now.

Another member asked me to remove his comment quote here so I obliged. My cautionary statements stand.

My concern isn't about what you do but what any of us tell another to do.
Their insurance company could hold one of us liable for their injuries.

The seat belts suck in my 1974 Satellite, all 4 retractors always lock up when pulling the belts out, sometimes they won't even work....I will have to try taking them out and cleaning them up like you guys have said, I wear my belts and so do my passengers so I would like them to work nice again. Thanks for the tips guys!!!

There is more than just one reason to use seatbelts you know.
The main reason I wear mine is so in an emergency evasive situation I don't move around and loose control of the car because of it.

-
Back