seat belts

-

2 fast z28

Reaction score
hi guys just wondering if anyone out there had any luck with dying a set of seat belts im useing the dye from year one just wondering if it holds up good or am i wasting my time doing this let me know thanks

I'm curious about this as well. Anyone have a good dye they have used for this purpose?

The dye from the old Pic and Save, any car parts place lasted forever in the 60's; don't think newer stuff would be worse.

Thanks "moparaddiction", I will look for it at our local walmart and give it a try on some extra old seat belts, and see how it works, before I do the set in the car.

Ok, so I went and found this product ( RIT) at our local Rite-aid drug store. Sense it's snowing out today and I'm bored silly, I think I'll give this stuff a try, later and see out it works on an old seat belt. Anybody else ever use this stuff? Any tips?..Ya I know, use rubber gloves. LOL!

RIT is what I (my wife) used to dye all my seat belts and it worked great. She put the belts in the dish washer to clean them first, then follow the directions on the box. She then rinced them 3 or 4 times in warm water to make sure the dye would not transfere onto my shirt & pants when I use them.

I used Rit-Dye to do the seat belts on my dad's Nova and it turned out great. Just make sure to add some salt and boil the water/dye mixture with the seat belts in the pot. The color comes out even and it made the seat belts feel really smooth and brand new also. :happy7:

I also used Rit dye,black.As Tina stated,add salt to the mixture.What I did was boiled water,a lot of it,to fill a homer orange plastic Home depot bucket,then mix in the dye and salt.I believe I used two packs of dye (Rit states the results can be less than optimum with manmade fabric,therefore the boiling water/strong concentration of dye technique).I did some gentle aggitation,leaving them in for about an hour.You can use a L shaped stick to aggitate/pick up and down the belts.Afterwards,you will have to rinse them with cold water a few times,because they will run,maybe even using warm water.If you can do this in the summer sun,it helps with the setting process to let them dry in strong sunshine.Mine came out real nice,but if you had frays,rips etc. they still will be there,but they will be original!!!Ofcourse,clean your belts real good first.The bucket works good for that also.You don't have to worry about damaging your washing machine.You might also want to carefully cut the thread holding the date tags on each belt,so you can remove the tags so they won't get dyed.Good Luck.

Rather than dye the old fabric another option is to have it replaced. The old fabric loses it's strength over the decades. I used Sharon's seat belts out of Texas. They can even get the metal rechromed. They look like new. It was not expensive.

I used RIT quite a few years ago, trying to dye blue to black, worked ok, but I didnt wash the belts thoroughly before hand.

Cuda 69,
Hope this doesn't come off as being nosy, but what was the price (genral, aound?)to get the belts restored. I looked at another site and they didn't list prices but they had a set of restored Charger belts for sale for $1,200, which may me afraid to even inquire with them. I will be hauling precious cargo once I get my Dart back together and would either like to replace(with something that looks somewhat correct)or have my original crusty faded belts restored.

It was about $100 for two shoulder belts and the two short lap belts. I did not get the retractable sections done because they were not faded.

I had all of my lap belts rewebed too since they were worn out. The material was 45.00 and the labor was 40.00 . That was just for the sewing though. Figuring out how to reload the retracters was on me.

-
Back