Seat cover swap

-

SwinginACR

Reaction score
I bought a set of bucket seats at monster mopar last weekend, their out of a 75 or 76 dart sport or duster, I looked at the legendary website. Anyway, they will eventually make their way into my 73 swinger and I would like to know weather or not the seat foam was the same for the 73's as for the 75/76. I would like to have somewhat correct looking seats in my car, They dont offer any other color beside black and white for those years plus the stitching is different. From what I can tell of the seats the covers have their own foam backing which gives it its design. So if the foam is the same I can just put 73 covers on them, right? Anybody?

Swinginacr,

1973-76 A-body buckets do share the same frames so you should be in good shape. Please let us know if we can help you out with new seat covers. Thanks.
Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

SwinginACR welcome to FABO. You will get lots of help from the members here and have fun redoing your seats.

The seat frames and foam are the same. Sometimes there will be a difference in how the backs are covered, hard shell or skin.

No these seats dont look like the later high backs they look like the 70 dart high backs with hard backs the foam looks like it would be diffrent.

Yes these were in the swap area, they have soft backs. The guy selling them thought they were 72/3 E-body. I knew what they were due to me looking for a set for a long time now. RedFish said what I wanted to hear, Id like to buy 73 covers for them so theyll look like they belong in the car. When I get some extra cash ill buy a new set of covers and thanks for the welcome guys.

100_1424.jpg

The white seat is out of a '73 Duster. The black seat is its mate that I re-covered with Legendary skins for a '74 Dart Sport. They both look like the same stitch pattern. However, the new '74 Legendary rear seat skins have a different pattern than the original '73 had.

Jerry

Re-cover 01.JPG

Re-cover 10.JPG

Ah I thought you had bought another set i seen down there. I remember seeing those seats sitting up by a guys inclosed trailer I was thinking about asking about them but decided not to. Did you get tracks with them?

Nice, Ill have to look into the rear later its not in bad shape at all, maybe alittle discolored in a spot or two. Is the stitching different because of the 74 covers or are the 73 and 4's the same?

Ah I thought you had bought another set i seen down there. I remember seeing those seats sitting up by a guys inclosed trailer I was thinking about asking about them but decided not to. Did you get tracks with them?

No tracks, I have a set from some 70 dart seats I have, but eventually theyll need to go back on those. Their is a guy near buy who does nothing but darts and dusters and when I get a chance Ill run by and talk to him about a set.

Is the stitching different because of the 74 covers or are the 73 and 4's the same?

Hmmm, good question. I'll have to check. I know the '73 has lines stitched across the full width of the rear seat, spaced about 1-1/2" apart. The new '74 covers have smooth panels with no stitching where the center passenger would sit. If I'm not mistaken, the old '74 rear seat is fully stitched like the '73. I think I still have all the covers, I'll compare and let you know.

Jerry

What about it Eric? Any explanation for the smooth center sections for our recent order? Not that I am complaining - we aren't exactly worried about a concourse restoration on this car, but it might be interesting to know.

Jerry

Jerry,

Can you show me a picture of the 74 rear seat covers you received? The 74 should have pleats running all the way across the rear seat covers just like the 73 seat covers.

Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors

Well, I guess I was half right. Here are pics of the original '74 Duster fold-down rear seat back, seat bottom, and the new '74 Legendary skins. The backs are what are different, the bottoms are the same.

Jerry

Re-cover Rear 01.JPG

Rear Seat Bottom.JPG

Rear Seat New.JPG

Man, this is making me want to spend money I dont have on a car that im not gonna be driving anytime soon :toothy10:

Jerry,

I have researched these seat covers for you and I have concluded that one of two things has taken palce. Either the car originally had a bench seat and was replaced with bucket seats or the rear seat was changed from deluxe style to a standard style. The reason I say this is the seat covers we sent you with the smooth center panel are the seat covers that go with bucket style fronts or a deluxe bench style with center arm rest. The original seat covers in your photos are a standard style rear seat cover that goes with a split front bench style interior. If you have original bucket seat covers in the car, the rear seat we sent you is correct. I hope this helps you out.

Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

Eric,
Just by chance and accident, you apparently sent the correct covers for the current seat configuration in this project, and it will be just fine the way it is. The '74 Gold Duster we are working on did originally have a bench front seat (explains the full pleated rear seat back). We swapped over the bucket seats from our '73 Duster (explains the smooth panel rear cover you sent in the full set I ordered). You could not have known the buckets were not original to the car, no more than I could have known to order the smooth panel cover.

Gentlemen (Ladies), see how nice it is to work with professionals who know their craft. Eric sent me the correct covers, and I didn't even know the difference.
icon10.gif

Thanks Eric,
Jerry

-
Back