Seat foam for 66 Barracuda

-

abgwin

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with their seat foam but it looks like they sell a lot of product on ebay with good feed back. I need some new foam and covers for my 66 as well so I will keep my eye on your post to see if you get any good responses.

How cabn the same seat foam be used for a & b bodies? I would think that it would have to be trimmed by the seat installer to fit properly. Especially if that is what they recommended. This may be the "base" to start with and need tweaking/trimming to fit whichever seat cushion you use it with.

The Plainfield Tamraz is only 10 minutes from my brother's house (60 from mine). They do not charge for shipping if you get any of their products shipped there and you pick them up, otherwise shipping can cost $$$.

I bought the foam from Legendary for mine. The modifications they're talking about are measuring and cutting the channels for the listing wires and attatching the "flaps" to hog ring it to the frame. The flaps are cloth or muslin purchased from a fabric shop. You could cut up an old bed sheet to do this also. I used 3m #90 spray adhesive to attach them. Bonds like a weld!! If you still have your old foam, take the measurements off of them and transfer to the new. If you don't have them, take your measurements off of the listing wire pockets on the vinyl upholstery. The Legendary stuff will come with some general instructions. Take your time, it's fairly easy. Hogging the listing wires in was the toughest part. I used the instructions from Legendary, tips from the shop manual and good sense trial fitting and exercising patience. I didn't take a lot of photos, but these might help you along.

Attachments

• old back rest foam.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 152
  • seat foam sm.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 171
  • ring location new foam.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 167
  • frame and foam mock up.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 174
  • checking depth with stick.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 188
  • listing wires installed.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 159
  • covered seat back.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 159
When you cut the listing wire channels, only go a couple inches deep, NOT all the way through. The photos of the old foam are all the way through because of wear. The only place they go through is where the hog rings go through the foam and attach to the frame. I chalked lines and made depth measurements with a pick and with a stick. The flaps I glued in are visible in some of the above photos.

Attachments

• lines chalked.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 169
  • checking foam depth with pick.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 166
  • checking depth with stick.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 165
Wow, thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

I just got the Legendary catalog and they now sell a "installation kit" for the 66 Barracuda. It's basically 4 horseshoe shaped pieces of foam to fill the bolster area.

-
Back