Seat Identification: '73 or '74?

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I am in a bit of a pickle. The ride is a '74 Duster base model with the /6. Nothing crazy about the body package; very generic. However, I was gearing up to replace the upholstery and bumped into an issue. Is this a '73 seat or a '74? Also, what would you call this type of bench seat? No adjustable headrest nor does it have a cup holder. Pardon the mess. She's been sitting a while.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thanks for the help.

Hello, all.

I am in a bit of a pickle. The ride is a '74 Duster base model with the /6. Nothing crazy about the body package; very generic. However, I was gearing up to replace the upholstery and bumped into an issue. Is this a '73 seat or a '74? Also, what would you call this type of bench seat? No adjustable headrest nor does it have a cup holder. Pardon the mess. She's been sitting a while.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thanks for the help.
Any wiring under, on the seats?

It’s been a long time but 74’s had something it could have been the seat belts. 73’s had nothing.

Hello, all.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thanks for the help.
Ps you can’t see the the photo

Sorry about that. I see it on my end. Here is a second try for uploading.

thumbnail_IMG_0936.jpg

Looks like a '73 I've got sitting up in the rafters- doesn't mean the same style wasn't used in '74, though. It's called a 50/50 split bench (with headrests). I don't believe my '73 seat has any seat sensors- I'd check to make sure, but the seat's pretty tough to get at right now...

‘74’s would be the only ones with seat sensors, the seat belt interlock was a one year deal because it was such a disaster.

‘74’s would be the only ones with seat sensors, the seat belt interlock was a one year deal because it was such a disaster.
I'd swear my '75 has a seat belt light in the dash, so it must have sensors, but '74 for sure was the only year with that ignition interlock on the belts...

I'd swear my '75 has a seat belt light in the dash, so it must have sensors, but '74 for sure was the only year with that ignition interlock on the belts...
Funny you mention that because my instrument cluster has a Seatbelt light as well. This car is literally an oddball, man. I’ve been trying to figure it out for ten years now. Lol ‘74 VIN, ‘73 50/50 bench, and a ‘75 Seat Belt system. Sheesh.

Long story short, where should I get my upholstery? Any good recommendations?

I think the interlock was one year only but other years still used the seat belt switch and light. Im pretty sure my 73 has the light in the dash and I believe the switch was actually in the seat belt latch.

Funny you mention that because my instrument cluster has a Seatbelt light as well. This car is literally an oddball, man. I’ve been trying to figure it out for ten years now. Lol ‘74 VIN, ‘73 50/50 bench, and a ‘75 Seat Belt system. Sheesh.

Long story short, where should I get my upholstery? Any good recommendations?
72/73 DART/DART SPORT/DEMON/ DUSTER SRM BLUE CLOTH/BR BLUE | Legendary Auto Interiors
Play around on their site, there's more options available!

-
Back