Seat Spring Repair or Replacement?

-

Steves65

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am in the process of my rebuild and have been stripping down my seats...I have a lot of broken springs and not sure if I should weld or buy new seat springs...any recommendations and suggestions on where to get replacements?

Attachments

• Seat Cushion.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 400
Do not weld them. They will break again at weld.
Find another parts seat that is the same and use some springs from it to replace the
broken ones.
Most of the time the springs on the passenger side of a seat are the best donors
since they saw less use than the driver position.

I see rear seat bottom from vert. Mine has no actually broken springs but several are rusted thin, to the point of worry. There are web vendors who sell springs and things.
You can rebuild it with donor materials from another.
I tried hard to work a deal with a guy who had practically NOS for my 67 vert stored away. After he pulled them out, sent pics, etc.., he stopped communicating. So I went back to plan A ; Use the super nice notch back seat bottom I have here for its springs and other good materials. Only welding will be patching the upper perimeter frame and 1 lower rear corner.

Oh by the way, you know what killed the springs 2nd and 3rd from ends ? Knees, buttoning zipping rear window. The burlap like material with cross wires spreads the load of a butt across several springs. A knee will go through in between. The factory places a minimal number of tacks through all the material to the springs. We have opportunity to do better.

Thanks for the tips...not sure if I will find a donor local so it may cost less to buy some springs...any recommendations on a website to buy from?

Thanks for the tips...not sure if I will find a donor local so it may cost less to buy some springs...any recommendations on a website to buy from?

No sir, I found some through google search. Never bought any.

Are the springs specific to your seat? I have a bench seat from my 70 dart that is about to hit the dump. The seat frame and springs are very clean and rust free. They still have all of the factory matte black paint on them. I have no idea what the springs look like since its still covered with foam and vinyl.

If a donor seat bottom has similar springs they could be seen from bottom, upside down.

I have seen connectors that you can slip broken springs into and tighten with Allan screws.
You might check with an upholstery shop for those .

Thanks for the help everyone!

1994redram - Do you want to take a look from underneath your bench and let me know?

Thanks!
Steve

Thanks for the help everyone!

1994redram - Do you want to take a look from underneath your bench and let me know?

Thanks!
Steve

I'll do it next time I'm out at my friends place where the seat is at.

I think I found a fix...I am adding some steel rod to reinforce the welds so hopefully that will be enough to keep it together

I also have a bench seat your welcome to some part from if you like.
PM me.

somebody here should have a rear seat bottom with good donor springs. Persuading them to take one apart and ship springs only... good luck with that.

I have that to.
I really hate to scrap this stuff but its
up for grabs till it hits the **** pile.
Free if you come and get it.

-
Back