seat track question

-

norshorblufish

By the Big Water
Reaction score
High all!

It's probable been address here before but I couldn't find anything when I used search on here. I think I may have an idea on how to do it. I thought I'd check here before I screwed something up.

I 'd like to pull the tracks part and clean, paint and regrease them.
They are for a 68 fish bucket seats.

Do you remove the z spring clips on each end of the track and seperate the two parts and watching out not to loose the bearing?

I figure this would be a good lousy weather day project.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time!

norshor

Ok I waited a couple of days Before I bumped this.
I know everyone's busy.
This probably got pushed back, because I posted it in the morning.
Am I right in my assumption on how to do this or hasn't anyone done it.

thanks

norshor

Your probably not going to get many answers on this one. I don't think anyone really takes them apart. I could be wrong. The inner springs are pretty hefty and a chore to get back. I soaked mine in degreaser and ran a small round brush down the slots where i could and blew everything out with air.

I took mine apart to repaint them, but they are '70 or '71 seats. These were the only one's I've redone, so I'm not familiar with the earlier tracks. Not sure if they are similar, but it wasn't that hard to do on mine. Do you have any pics of yours? Dang, I knew I should have taken pics when I redid mine. Anyway, I'll try to help you out if I can.

I cleaned up mine when I re-upolstered my seats on my '68 Dart. I just bead blasted and sprayed it down real good with brake cleaner to loosen the hardened grease.

When I was cleaning them, half of one came apart and the "Z" thing you talked about along with the 2 ball bearings fell out. If I remember right, I think I fought with it for a few minutes trying to get the other side apart and gave up and just powdercoated them assembled. They came out very well and move easily after re-greasing them.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 120
I've took a bunch of them apart. Figured out how to turn bench seat tracks into bucket seat tracks. Far too much work involved there. Anyway.. The roller cage is similar to the cage in a bearing. It's not spring loaded
If you find one of your top rollers is flat spotted, I have extras.

-
Back