Seatbelt question: What year required shoulder belts?

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
My '69 Barracuda notch didn't have any seat belts in front when I got it.
The headliner, which may be original (if not, it's at least 15 years old) has no holes for the shoulder mount. I can feel through it though where the mount should be, and it seems like it's there. Were shoulder belts mandatory in '69 in the US, or an option?

Depends on when it was built. Option until 1/1/69 build dates
I think you can confirm that with the factory lit at hamtramck historical
69 barracuda seat belts

I believe mid year 1968 is when shoulder belts were required for front outboard occupants. My 69 has spots for rear outboard shoulder belts. Slots in package tray sheetmetal. The rear shoulder belts appear to be a really rare option on 69.

Buy a set of wesco performance lift latch shoulder belts with upper sash and retractor mechanism and 12" long end with buckle. Forget about the OEM stuff. It was a pain in the ***.

Last edited:
Depends on when it was built. Option until 1/1/69 build dates
I think you can confirm that with the factory lit at hamtramck historical
69 barracuda seat belts
Thanks! By that, mine should have had shoulder belts, was built in March of '69. So it looks like someone put in a new headliner and never put in the shoulder belts.

My wesco belts along with two 60" long lift latch lap belts ran me $220 shipped brand new from wesco performance

I believe mid year 1968 is when shoulder belts were required for front outboard occupants. My 69 has spots for rear outboard shoulder belts. Slots in package tray sheetmetal. The rear shoulder belts appear to be a really rare option on 69.

Buy a set of wesco performance lift latch shoulder belts with upper sash and retractor mechanism and 12" long end with buckle. Forget about the OEM stuff. It was a pain in the ***.
Right now, I'm thinking about getting a pair of Sebring convert seats with the built in harness. The buckets that were in the car are really nice.. the problem with that is I'm a smoker, and I want this to be a fun car for me, so I'd rather not smoke up or burn those nice a-body seats.. save them for the kid or whoever has this car after me. But I'd like to have the setup ready to go back to those seats with decent belts.

its Jan 1968 you're right.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Dart0021.jpg
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Dart0025.jpg

Yep. I been rocking and rolling on my sons 69 notchback. Last 3 pages of his resto thread, we are really starting to make progress.

Yep. I been rocking and rolling on my sons 69 notchback. Last 3 pages of his resto thread, we are really starting to make progress.
Haven't really done much, Wisconsin winter without a heated garage, and a kid in hockey kinda keeps me out of the garage. I did get a replacement a-pillar and rockers for it. The rest is just planning right now.. but it's February and I'm getting itchy to get greasy and patching bloody cuts. :)

I remember in the mid 80's, I was driving a black '64 Polara. The PO had painted playboy bunnies on it (and no, the girlfriends dad was not happy when I picked her up in it). A cop pulled me over, as the laws for seatbelts had come out.. I argued with him for 10 minutes that this car did not come with seatbelts. He finally called it in.. and yeah, he was wrong. The look on his face when he couldn't find anything else wrong with my car was priceless.

My meme was deleted based on "Political" content. Questioning the motives of the Police is NOT political, people. It should not have been deleted. This is so ironic that I post a meme about heavy handed Police motives and a MODERATOR deletes it.
This isn't right or fair.

-
Back