Second Gear Band 727

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a new tranny for my race car this last winter from a reputable mopar tranny builder. To start off with the tranny wouldn't shift correctly under load. Found the problem with it the piston assembly was bad. Builder sent me another piston assembly to replace it. Working fine until this last weekend. Started doing the same thing again. I adjusted the band up again at the the track and it started working like it should.
My question/concern is having to adjust this band again. Should I pull it out and have it checked for wear or just assume I maybe didn't get it adjusted properly???

What is the band set at and what type and material they use?

Maybe with a stuck piston if is that messed up required a re-adjust band may be worn?

1-2 is a combo of band on and overlap of drum release etc. It is all about timing, this is done with material VB, springs, pistons seals etc.

I would feel iffy if it was my trans sorry:)

It's normal to have to re-adjust the band ever so often Jeff considering it's a race car. I even do it on my street cars after 1000 miles just so I know their set at optimum cause bands are friction material and wear. For race cars I would do it more often.

BTW: 2nd gear apply doesn't require any clutch carriers to release. When in first (manual low) the rear band releases and the front band applies. It is a timing thing so if the timing isn't quite perfect (and it rarely is) you will see a little wear like your seeing with your band.

There is never any overlap on 1 to 2. Drive/First uses the forward clutch, and low 1 uses the forward clutch and low/reverse band. Most sift kits and valve bodies do not use low/reverse unless you specify. Which means when 2nd gear applies, the fluid goes thru the accumulator to the kickdown servo. the clutch never disengages. Is the slipping going into 2nd? What servo package did you get? Was the pump replaced when the trans was rebuilt? What lever was used in it?

There is never any overlap on 1 to 2. Drive/First uses the forward clutch, and low 1 uses the forward clutch and low/reverse band. Most sift kits and valve bodies do not use low/reverse unless you specify. Which means when 2nd gear applies, the fluid goes thru the accumulator to the kickdown servo. the clutch never disengages. Is the slipping going into 2nd? What servo package did you get? Was the pump replaced when the trans was rebuilt? What lever was used in it?

Is it slipping going into 2nd? Yes but only under full throttle. Part throttle works fine. Pump replaced? I assume it was. What lever? It appears to be a stock lever with some material added for strengh. This is the one that applies the band. This tranny was supposed to be built to handle 600hp by a MAJOR mopar tranny shop. I purchased a convertor/tranny combo from them at the same time giving them all the information they required. No tranny brake but with a rev/man low band apply.

It's normal to have to re-adjust the band ever so often Jeff considering it's a race car. I even do it on my street cars after 1000 miles just so I know their set at optimum cause bands are friction material and wear. For race cars I would do it more often.

BTW: 2nd gear apply doesn't require any clutch carriers to release. When in first (manual low) the rear band releases and the front band applies. It is a timing thing so if the timing isn't quite perfect (and it rarely is) you will see a little wear like your seeing with your band.

Thanks Tracy.

Moper If I remember correctly the valve body is modified with an A&A kit.

-
Back