Secret/hide away audio

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Who's installed one of those "secret audio" sound systems - you know, the receiver/tuner units that you mount behind your dash or wherever and use a remote to control the functions.

I want to install a hideaway receiver/tuner with MP3 compatibility, so I can just plug in my ipod, rather than installing a bulky CD stacker.

Who's done this? Any ideas, suggestions, pics would be gladly received.

Serveral of the hotrods that come to the local cruise-in have marine type sterios mounted in the trunks. Those have a wired remote with didital display.

Hi Sydcuda,

Just in case you haven't given up totally on an in dash radio... RetroSound has an in dash shaft-style receiver (called the Model One, with either a chrome or black nose) It has no CD changer ctl, but has a USB input plus two aux inputs (one on front & rear) & a greatly adjustable shaft mounting system. See the link;

www.retrosoundusa.com

Nose is: 1 1/2" X 3 1/2"

John :-D

I put one in my Barracuda. The unit is under the Pass. seat. I have the cable for the zip drive and the CD changer. I have the plug for the CD changer sticking out from under the back sear so I can unplug the changer if I'm noy using it. With the zip drive, you can load a 1000 songs on the one I have. Just start it and let it go. I don't have an Ipod,MP3 player so I didn't get that cable. I can get pics latter if you want, but not much to see.(all hidden)

My buddy did a '67 Nova.Everything is in the trunk....head unit/amp/6x9's in package tray....CD/I-pod/USB. Has a small(size of a pencil eraser)remote receiver in the dash....can't see it unless it's pointed out to you.All Boston Acoustics,,,sounds/works great!

I put one in my Barracuda. The unit is under the Pass. seat. I have the cable for the zip drive and the CD changer...With the zip drive, you can load a 1000 songs on the one I have. Just start it and let it go. I don't have an Ipod,MP3 player so I didn't get that cable.

Good post, jaws!

I never thought about using a zip drive to load a bunch of songs on---great idea. A lot cheaper than an ipod and if it gets lost, just buy another one; they're cheap.

That may be my answer for the same issues. I don't like a modern stereo on the old dash (my preference only). In fact, I prefer a "radio delete" look to the dash. The less 'frills,' the better.

the brand "secret audio" is over priced junk

Agreed. I have installed several of these in customer cars in the past (after trying to talk them out of it). They are ok as far as convenience goes but are expensive and the quality/performance is lacking.

I put one in my Barracuda. The unit is under the Pass. seat. I have the cable for the zip drive and the CD changer. I have the plug for the CD changer sticking out from under the back sear so I can unplug the changer if I'm noy using it. With the zip drive, you can load a 1000 songs on the one I have. Just start it and let it go. I don't have an Ipod,MP3 player so I didn't get that cable. I can get pics latter if you want, but not much to see.(all hidden)

You mean the retrosound unit do you Jaws? I like the look of them, something I could mount in my custom dash and not look out of place. I'd just use the zip drive, deleting the CD changer. Tell me, what's the sound like with these units?

-
Back